Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Home Against Farsley Celtic On Saturday March 23rd Kick-Off 3.00pm

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Purdie Eyeing Up Coaching Role


Former Hereford player Rob Purdie hasn't really missed playing football since he retired in the summer, but would hasn't ruled out a return to the game as a coach.

Rob Purdie was named a player-manager for the Herefordshire FA XI as they hosted an FA representative side at Edgar Street last night and admitted he's missed the coaching aspect since working in the fire service.

When asked if he'd like to get into coaching, Purdie said: "I'd love to do it but my job doesn't really allow it. 

"The hours I work, being in the fire service, isn't a job where I can say 'look, I can't make any Saturdays', it's not like that.

"Depending on what happens in the fire service, the way shifts go or if I was to go up the ladder a little bit, there might be some scope to get back in. I'd love to dip my toe in somewhere but it would have to be on the terms of I can be here these days and I can't be here these days.

"If someone approached me and said that and it was something that I was enthusiastic about I'd snap their hand off."

Purdie still gets back to Edgar Street to watch Hereford when he can, usually helping with BBC Hereford and Worcester's commentary.

Head of Football Tim Harris suggested he manage the game and it wasn't a hard choice to make.

"I watched a game here (Edgar Street), I think it was Brackley and I'd seen the game had gone out on social media," Purdie added.

"Tim (Harris) said to me and I said I'd like to play 10 or 15 minutes. I think the HFA contacted Hereford and Tim put my name forward and they asked me to do it.

"It was an easy yes. I haven't particularly misses the playing side of football, but I do miss the coaching side. I miss talking to players, I miss seeing someone doing something well, seeing someone improve.

"First half especially the game plan worked absolutely perfectly, second half not so much, but first half I was really pleased with the lads."