Next:Guiseley At Edgar Street On Saturday December 21st Kick-off 3.00pm

Play our Sports Club Lottery

Tuesday, August 07, 2018

Report: Nuneaton Borough 0 - Hereford 0

Terry Goodwin reports from Liberty Way for Bulls News

Neither side could find a goal in a lively match which leaves Hereford with four points from their opening two matches of their first season in Vanarama North. 

The Bulls went into their first away league match off the back of Saturday’s impressive 3-0 win over Blyth Spartans. Nuneaton started with a 0-0 draw at Ashton United, and their Liberty Way Stadium was basking in the evening sunshine for Nicky Eaden’s first Home game in charge of the Boro. 

The Bulls named an unchanged team with Martin Horsell continuing in goal, and Saturday’s star men Harry White and Eliot Richards were both in the starting eleven. Boro’s on-loan striker Dior Angus was always likely to pose a threat up front for the home side. The Port Vale striker was prolific in the Southern Premier during his time at Redditch United. Nuneaton also named Lewis Freestone at left back after he joined on-loan from Peterborough. 

Before the game, the owner of Liberty Way Norman Smurthwaite was around the ground selling programmes and pies. He’s also the owner of Port Vale, but he has no involvement in the football side of Nuneaton as dual-ownership is not allowed. 

The Bulls started the livelier of the two sides, with Billy Murphy’s free kick within the opening two minutes sailing just wide of the far post. Then a good long ball into the box from Keiran Thomas was headed wide by Harry White. 

Wave after wave of Hereford attacks followed, with very few attacking moves from Nuneaton, as the Bulls dominated. 

Another Chance for Harry White Went Wide

Nuneaton grew in confidence during the half and Martin Horsell made a crucial save to keep the scores level, while Thomas blocked at Kairo Mitchell effort. But the Bulls fought back. A late challenge by Freestone resulted in him being booked, as Hereford tested goalkeeper Louis Gray again. 

Jordan Liburd Has His Shirt Held
With four minutes of the half remaining, Angus was replaced by Boro, with Owain Jones taking his place. And in the dying stages, Smith scraped a low ball across the face of goal as Hereford searched for an opening.

A physical start to the second half saw a flare up between several players, resulting in a yellow card for Mike McGrath and a booking for Harry Panayiotou, after the Hereford man was clipped. 

Lance Smith then had strong shot deflected wide, and then a good header by Miles Addison from a Nuneaton corner was inches wide of Horsell’s far post.  But for all of their pushing, Hereford couldn’t find a goal and Peter Beadle - arms folded on the touchline - looked on as Freestone’s shot was pushed over by Horsell. 

White Gets Close To The Keeper
Then the changes came - Calvin Dinsley and Lewis Hall replacing Lance Smith and Mike McGrath. Still Nuneaton pushed for a winner. A challenge by Jennison Myrie-Williams resulted in a yellow card, but Boro couldn’t trouble the goal from the free kick that followed. 

Substitute Calvin Dinsley
Jamie Bird came on to replace Eliot Richards and Hereford increased the pressure in added time. A late, late corner came to nothing, and a draw was probably the fair outcome. 

This was a good point for the Bulls. Harry White worked hard up front against a determined Nuneaton defence. 

Fan of the night was the one who shouted “sort it out Turner” midway through the second half!

Finally - the PA. Why WAS it so loud?

Nuneaton: Gray, Hurst, Freestone, Burns, Addison (capt), Carter, Calveley, Richards, Panayiotou, Mitchell, Angus (Jones, 41). 
Unused subs: Andoh, Etheridge, Wharton, Tweed. 

Hereford: Horsell, Thomas, Greenslade, Murphy, Green, Liburd (capt), Lance Smith (Hall, 77), Richards (Bird, 86), White, McGrath (Dinsley, 77), Myrie-Williams. 
Unused subs: Sainty, Harvey Smith. 

Att: 895