Next Game: Guiseley at Edgar Street On Saturday March 23rd at 3.00pm.
Play our Sports Club Lottery

Saturday, June 23, 2018

We've Been There Before - AFC Telford

Now that the make-up of the National North League is known, it's surprising how many of the clubs Hereford FC and/or Hereford United have visited in the past.

Over the next fortnight BN will look back at some of those away games. We start with AFC Telford and a pre-season friendly which took place on July 23rd 2017.

Battling Bulls Keep Bucks At Bay

Rob Purdie Captained Hereford
Hereford FC travelled to AFC Telford this afternoon for what was probably their toughest pre-season friendly to date. 
Manager Peter Beadle was without Mike Symons, Craig Dinsley and Ryan Green who are away on holiday. And yesterday he was told by keeper Ollie Davies that he was leaving the club after just a couple of weeks.
Just as the friendly was about to kick-off, the rain started but soon stopped. The Telford pitch was in good condition and both teams started the game looking to move the ball around.
Hereford had a couple of early chances and probably settled better than the home side. One fell to Mike McGarth.

And another to John Mills.
John Mills
Keeper Martin Horsell had to be alert to ensure this strike went wide.
Martin Horsell Diving To His Right
On 22 minutes John Mills was brought down by Telford Keeper Jasbir Singh but the Hereford striker's well struck penalty was kept out as Singh dived the right way and got a hand to it.

Telford came into the game after the penalty and chances for Hereford were few and far between.

Jimmy Oates was yellow carded for a challenge on Newby.
Keyon Reffell, who looked lively on the right wing, might have done better with this cross
which went straight to the keeper.

Half-time Telford 0 Hereford 0

The second half was pretty even with both sides having limited chances. On 60 minutes Beadle took off John Mills and gave a start to Lance Smith.

Lance Smith
And a few minutes later Garyn Preen replaced Rob Purdie.
Telford's Mathew Barnes-Homer headed wide and John Marsden hit the bar before on 78 minutes Pablo Haysham tried his luck but his shot went inches wide.

Haysham had another effort close to the end of the game which flashed past the keeper but again was just wide.

Final Score: AFC Telford 0 Hereford FC 0

Hereford: Horsell, Oates, Bowen, Edge, Deaman, Preece, Reffell, McGrath, Mills, Haysham, Purdie

Subs: Preen (for Purdie), Smith (for Mills), Pugh, Hayes, Richards, Harris

As Beadle said in his post match interview this was a useful friendly to test out his defence. Telford are in National North and on the day were the more physical of the two teams but credit to Hereford who defended well whilst not creating many chances.
The attendance wasn't announced but maybe 450 with around 150 supporting Hereford.