Next Game: Pre-Season Friendly - Melksham Town Away on Saturday 7th July

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Hereford 1 - Cardiff City U23s 5

Rob Purdie Captained Hereford
Hereford hosted Cardiff City’s Development Squad at Edgar Street on Wednesday evening with three first team players making the trip. Welsh International Declan John, winger Craig Noone and midfielder Stuart O’Keefe all started in what was expected to be Hereford’s toughest preseason test to date.

The Bulls got the encounter underway attacking towards the Blackfriars End in the first half, but it was the visitors who drew first blood. After some good passing football down the left, Declan John’s cross was met by Matthew Kennedy at point-blank range to open the scoring. 

The Whites weren't behind for long as eight minutes later Mark Preece equalised. A Pablo Haysham free kick from 30-yards was flicked on by Preece. Despite the keeper getting his hand to the ball, it wasn’t enough to prevent the centre-back from scoring his first goal of preseason.

Greg Preece Scored Hereford's Goal From A Pablo Haysham Free-Kick
New-recruit goalkeeper Ethan Ross then palmed away Craig Noone’s shot from an acute angle, but the resulting corner was efficiently dealt with my Mike McGrath.

On the half hour mark, the Bluebirds scored their second courtesy of Declan John. After Mark Preece intercepted a pass from Stuart Preece, the ball fell to John who had little trouble in striking it low past Ross with his right-foot.

A third goal for the visitors followed two minutes later. A solo-run from Ibrahim Meite resulted in Ross charging off his line, but Meite coolly slotted the ball across the face of goal and in at the far post.
Meite could've had a second moments later, but the keeper beat him to the ball, punching away a powerful cross.

Two minutes from half time, a rasping shot from Keyon Reffell was turned away with a strong hand from Brian Murphy.

HT: Hereford 1 - Cardiff City U23s 3

Early in the second half, Hereford were forced into making their first change of the game after Rob Purdie was replaced by Garyn Preen. Purdie left the field limping with what appeared to be a hamstring problem.

The Bulls looked the brighter of the two sides after the restart, with a number of good saves by 34-year old keeper Murphy. Firstly, James Bowen cut in from left wing, but he saw his shot palmed away by Murphy. 

After Hereford worked the ball back into the box, Jimmy Oates was unlucky to see his athletic effort was tipped over the bar.

In the 62nd minute, a tame shot from Keyon Reffell was easily gathered by the keeper, before Garyn Preen also went close with two chances. 

Garyn Preen
Murphy continued his fine performance, tipping a rising shot from 18-yards over the bar, and somehow getting a hand to a shot from distance to push it around the post.

The Bluebirds then put the game to bed as they added goals four and five to the tally. In the 75th minute, Ross spilled the ball under pressure from Ibrahim Meite, and Craig Noone was on hand to curl the ball home into the back of an unguarded net.

Five minutes later, Noone scored his second of the evening. After evading a challenge from Keyon Reffell, Noone worked the ball onto his favoured left-foot before his powerful shot took a deflection off Mark Preece on its way into the back of the net.

Substitute John Mills couldn’t reduce the deficit in the dying stages of the game, his overhead kick from James Bowen’s cross was denied by the upright.

FT: Hereford 1 - Cardiff City U23s 5
Att: 1,115

Hereford: Ross, Oates, Bowen, Edge, Deaman, Preece, Reffell, McGrath (Mills), Smith (Hayes), Haysham, Purdie (C) (Preen).
Subs not used: Franklin, Pugh, Richards, Harris.

Cardiff City U23: Murphy, Coxe (Trialist), Young (Duffus), Trialist, John (Trialist), Weymans, Humphries (Veale), O’Keefe (C), Kennedy, Noone, Meite.
Subs not used: Byrne, Trialist, Trialist.

Next Game: Preseason Friendly - Gloucester City Away on Monday 31st July at 7.45pm