Sunday, April 23, 2017

Hereford 4 - Winchester City 0

For Hereford’s final league game of the season, manager Pete Beadle stuck with the starting XI that beat Evesham on bank holiday Monday. With Hereford were looking to finish their season off on a high, Winchester City boss Craig Davis was hoping for his first win after taking the reins last month.

Right-back Jimmy Oates started the afternoon brightly, intercepting a pass on the right wing within the first minute. But his attempted cross to the unmarked John Mills sailed behind for an early goal kick.

Nine minutes in the Bulls took the lead from the spot. After Mike Symons was bundled over by Jamie Barron, referee Philip Hardixty awarded the hosts a penalty. John Mills despatched the spot kick confidently with his right-foot despite the keeper diving the right way. 

Oates then came agonisingly close to doubling the lead with a great effort from the edge of the area, but visiting keeper Lewis Noice managed to get his fingertips to the ball to deny the 25-year old his first goal of the season.

Midway through the first half, Howard Neighbour was inches away from levelling the score, but his shot from six-yards hit the crossbar. 

Jamie Edge scored his first league goal of the season with a powerful low drive. As Jimmy Oates ran onto Rob Purdie’s through-ball, he pulled it back for Edge to fire home past the static keeper with his right-foot.

The Bulls continued to create chances, and perhaps should have had added another goal before half time. Mike Symons teed up Rob Purdie two minutes before the break, but the keeper pulled off a good save before easily catching Symons’ headed effort moments later.

HT: Hereford 2 - Winchester City 0

After the break, both sides had chances to add to the goal tally. Firstly, Winchester couldn’t keep their free kick down as it sailed over the bar from 25-yards, before a quick corner from Hereford also cleared the bar.

Jimmy Oates, who remains the only player who has agreed terms for next season so far, finally got his name on the score sheet on the hour mark. After an initial effort from John Mills was palmed wide by the keeper, Oates got on the end of Rob Purdie’s corner and with a thumping header planted the ball in the back of the net.

The Australian then went on a solo run down the right wing in search of his second, but his low cross-come-shot went wayward as City cleared the danger.

Substitute Jamie Molyneux gifted John Mills the chance to score Hereford’s fourth of the afternoon in the 75th minute, but after playing the ball through to the feet of Mills, the keeper smothered his shot.
But the 4,000+ fans inside Edgar Street didn’t have to wait too much longer for the fourth, as Bradley Williams sealed the win seven minutes from time. It was once again Jimmy Oates who was involved in the build-up – his pinpoint cross from the right was met by a firm header from Williams, beating the keeper and nestling in the top right hand corner of the net.

After scoring the fourth, Hereford seemed content to see the game out for another three points.

FT: Hereford 4 - Winchester City 0
Att: 4,125
Sponsors’ MotM: Jimmy Oates

Hereford: A. Harris, Oates, Edwards, Edge (Williams), Green, Preece, Purdie (Franklin), McGrath, Mills, Haysham, Symons (Molyneux).
Subs not used: Barnes, Horsell.

Winchester City: Noice, Tomasso (Hayward), King, Barron, Matthews, Ford, Smith (Jenkinson), Green (c), Feeney, Neighbour (Roberts), Briggs.
Subs not used: Hill, Hannam.

Next Game: Champions Match - Royston Town at Home on Saturday 29th April at 3pm