Sunday, March 26, 2017

South And West Weekend Review

Hereford FC secured the EVO-STIK League Southern Division One South & West title on Saturday at the Raymond McEnhill Stadium with a 4-0 win over Salisbury, the side who came up with them at the end of last season, writes Pitchero's Steve Whitney.

A crowd of 1,807 saw the Bulls clinch the title in style, Mike Symons giving them an early fifth minute lead that Jamie Molyneux doubled eight minutes later.
Pablo Haysham added a third on the half-hour mark and Symons` second just ahead of the hour-mark sealed a terrific performance against a side who were expected to be the Bulls` biggest title rivals at the start of the season.
Steve Claridge`s side still have a chance of joining Hereford in the Premier Division via the play-offs though as they are now fifth and five points clear of sixth-placed Mangotsfield United.
The Bulls were able to celebrate on Saturday as second-placed Taunton Town suffered a 2-0 defeat at now fourth-placed Evesham United.

Evesham led 1-0 at half-time, their scorer being Jordan Bryant who beat goalkeeper Lloyd Irish following a fine solo run in the 30th minute. Adam Mann eventually snapped up the home’s second goal deep into stoppage time.
Tiverton Town are the other top five side and they were also beaten on Saturday, 1-0 at Wimborne Town whose Toby Holmes scored the only goal just before half-time.
Mangotsfield kept themselves in the frame after hammering doomed Bridgwater Town 6-0 at Cossham Street, Lewis Powell enjoying himself with four goals and Matty Groves and Joe Hillard also getting in on the act.
Seventh-placed Swindon Supermarine`s play-off hopes have probably just about disappeared after they lost 1-0 at the WebbsWood Stadium to Paulton Rovers, whose winning goal came five minutes from time, courtesy of an Ashley Taylor own goal.
Second-bottom Wantage Town are looking for snookers after they were held to a goalless draw at home by fourth-bottom AFC Totton.
Third-bottom Slimbridge suffered a 5-1 home hammering by Larkhall Athletic, whose Jamie Lyons bagged a brace, topped and tailed by Joe Raynes and Joe Tumelty respectively.

Elsewhere, Mike Baker scored a last-gasp winner for Yate Town at Didcot Town, whose George Reid gave them a 50th minute lead that Lewis Fogg cancelled out 11 minutes from time to make it 2-1.
Andy Gunn and Wayne Turk scored within five minutes of each other in the first half to seal North Leigh`s 2-0 win at Bideford.
Second half goals from Joe Bates, Jack Watts, a Jacob Davidge spot-kick and a Nick Hancock own goal sealed Bishops Cleeve`s 4-1 home win over Shortwood United, whose reply came from Sam Mendes 18 minutes from time.