Sunday, February 12, 2017

South And West Weekend Review

The Hereford FC bandwagon was punctured on Saturday when they dropped points at their Edgar Street home for only the third time in the EVO-STIK League Southern's South & West this season, writes Pitchero's Steve Whitney.

The runaway leaders were held to a 2-2 draw by mid-table Wimborne Town in front of a crowd of 2,285.
Top scorer John Mills gave the hosts the boost of an early second minute lead before Toby Holmes equalised 16 minutes later. Mills restored the Bulls lead 10 minutes after half-time from then penalty spot, only for Holmes to match him with his second, also from twelve yards, in the 78th minute.

Tiverton Town are second, albeit still some 19 points behind Hereford, after winning 3-1 at lowly AFC Totton. The Devonians got off to a great start with a first-minute Levi Landricombe effort. Nick Hurst doubled their advantage eight minutes later and, although Adam Wilde reduced the deficit in the 20th minute, Mike Williams made it 3-1 with six minutes of the first half remaining.
Evesham United are third, but had their home game against Swindon Supermarine abandoned after 54 minutes due to floodlight failure.
Salisbury FC are fourth and Taunton Town fifth and both won 3-0 on Saturday.
The Whites beat Slimbridge in front of a crowd of 545 at the Raymond McEnhill Stadium with goals from Taurean Roberts after seven minutes and then Kane O`Keefe on 73 minutes before Roberts struck again six minutes from time.
The Peacocks beat Didcot Town at Wordsworth Drive, courtesy of Owen Irish on the half-hour mark and a Matty Wright brace after 64 and 68 minutes.
Mangotsfield United in seventh were held to a 1-1 draw at Cossham Street by Larkhall Athletic – both goals coming within a minute of each other just shy of the hour-mark – Jamie Lyons striking first for the Larks and Liam Monelle equalising.

Bottom-markers Bridgwater Town are eleven points adrift of third-bottom AFC Totton after losing 2-1 at Fairfax Park to Shortwood United, whose Steve Davies from the spot on 34 minutes and Liam Meredith on 54 minutes proved enough, with George Kellow replying in stoppage time for the Somerset outfit.
Second-bottom Wantage Town won for only the second time this season to date, but are still eight points adrift of the Stags.
The Alfredians beat Barnstaple Town 2-1 at home, thanks to Mark Francis and Jack Powell goals in either half, James Blake replying.
Elsewhere, North Leigh won 2-0 at home against Winchester City with an Olly Searle own goal and George Seacole on target while Bideford beat Yate Town at home by the same scoreline, courtesy of Chris McGrath and Sean Downing inside the opening 20 minutes.