Next Game: Forest Green Rovers at Home on Wednesday 25th July at 7.45pm

Saturday, February 18, 2017

Larks hold Hereford at Plain Ham

Two Goals For John Mills At Larkhall
Hereford FC were held for the third time this season on the road, drawing 2-2 at Larkhall. John Mills poked home to give Hereford the lead but former Bull Joe Tumelty lashed in an equaliser before half-time. Mills then responded by dispatching a penalty after Jimmy Oates was felled but again, Larhall responded when James Stinson nipped past Alex Harris to equalise.

Mike McGrath returned to the starting line up with Bradley Williams making way in the centre of the park. Mike Symons shrugged off a knock from the mid-week HFA County Cup game at Pegasus to partner Mills up top.

Joel Edward's interception and run forward on the left allowed him to cross for Symons, but his header lacked power and did not trouble Ben John in the Larkhall goal. Jamie Molyneux struck off-target with a first-time effort before Mills had a good opportunity to open the scoring with a left-foot shot stinging the palms of John.

In the 20th minute, Hereford found themselves a goal to the good courtesy of the ever reliable Mills. Oates searching pass down the right allowed Molyneux to stride forward and leave his marker on his backside before producing a low cross that Mills touched in at the near-post. 

Jamie Molyneux Crossed The Ball To Mills

Who Turned In Into The Larkhall Goal

Soon after, Hereford had two golden opportunities to double their advantage. Firstly, Mills timed his run superbly to beat the offside trap and race onto a Molyneux pass, rounding John but the angle became tight and his shot was cleared. Then, a minute later, another through ball this time sent Symons through. The 'Beast' couldn't shake off the Larkhall defender, but span his man, before hitting the bar with a left-foot shot.

However, despite these two good chances for Hereford, it was the hosts who equalised on the half-hour mark. A quick-throw on the left caught the away defence sleeping and Ben Brooks lifted a shot past Harris but Edwards slid into the clear to safety. 

Joel Edwards Clears The Ball To Safety
From the resulting throw-in, the ball was looped into the 18 yard box and Tumelty reacted quickest to fire past Harris to make it 1-1.

Joe Tumelty Celebrates His Goal Against His Former Club
At half-time, Pablo Haysham was replaced by Tristan Plummer, with Molyneux moving to the left-wing. Plummer made an early impact, dribbling at the Larkhall left-back before a low cross found Symons, who turned but saw his shot blocked by the 'keeper. In the melee that followed, Mills fired against the post before the home team eventually cleared.

Joe Raynes forced Harris into action having controlled a difficult pass and acrobatically shooting goalwards but minutes on from this chance, Hereford regained the lead. Plummer lifted a ball over the left-back where Oates had burst into the box and he was felled by a high-tackle and a penalty was awarded. The home-team argued their case, and although there was minimal contact, it was a silly challenge to make. Mills took charge from the spot and fired into the opposite corner to John's dive.
Plummer's Cross

Found Oates

Who Was Fouled
And Despite Protests From Larkhall Players
John Mills Scored From The Spot

Symons forced John into another save having controlled an Edwards cross and hit a left-foot shot towards goal. With 17 minutes to go, Larkhall found themselves level after some poor defending by Hereford. A long-ball looked to be covered for by Oates, but Harris came steaming out of his goal and Larkhall's Stinson nodded past him before placing the ball into the empty net.

Hereford huffed and puffed in the closing fifteen minutes but failed to make that elusive breakthrough. Plummer beat two men before shooting off balance into the side netting, whilst Molyneux's sliced cross landed on the top of the net. At the other-end, Raynes collected a Tumelty pass and hitting a long-range shot a couple of yards past the post. Jake Sinclair was introduced late on for Molyneux and his weak shot failed to trouble John, in what was the last opportunity of the game. In injury time, an off the ball incident incensed Symons, who was visibly angry at the home 'keeper and had to be calmed down by his team-mates in an uncharacteristic moment for the former Gloucester striker.

It was a difficult game for Hereford, with Larkhall setting up to defend on a bobbly pitch. The Bulls however had more than enough chances to seal the game, that, on another day, would have gone in. Saying that, it's another point on the quest for the title but it is now two games without a win for Hereford, which has rarely happened since the birth of the new club. Next up for Hereford is the visit of Swindon Supermarine a week today.

Hereford: Harris, Oates, Green, Preece, Edwards, Molyneux (Sinclair), Purdie, McGrath, Haysham (Plummer), Symons, Mills (2).

Subs not used: Horsell, Fortune, Williams.