Next Game: Preseason Friendly - Newport County At Edgar Street on Saturday 21th July at 3.00pm

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Hereford see off determined Mangotsfield

Hereford FC saw off Mangotsfield with a 1-0 victory at Cossham Street. Mike McGrath scored the only goal of the game with a quickly-taken free kick catching former Bristol Rovers goalie Steve Phillips off guard, in front of 602 supporters.

Peter Beadle made one change from the team that defeated Paulton Rovers on the weekend. Rob Purdie missed out altogether; in came Jamie Molyneux, with Pablo Haysham among the subs having completed his four game suspension. Ryan Green again missed out.

The Bulls could have been in front in the second minute but for a fine save by Phillips; Jamie Edge's looping pass was misjudged by the Field defence leaving John Mills to lash a half-volley goalwards which Phillips palmed away. Mike Symons used his body well to fend off a challenge inside the six yard box, before spinning and poking goalwards but Phillips was equal to it. A good move down the right-wing, involving first Symons, and then Molyneux, eventually led to the ball falling to Mills inside the box but his cute near post left-foot touch went the wrong side of the post.

Tristan Plummer was brought down
The only goal of the game was scored in the 23rd minute. Tristan Plummer was felled 25 yards out and McGrath lined the ball up. With Phillips organising his wall, McGrath sought permission off the referee to take it quickly, and without a whistle, and lofted the ball with his left-foot into the far top corner with Phillips motionless. Protests followed by the hosts but the goal stood, and Hereford led. 

Towards the end of the half, Molyneux's cross come shot was bundled away from danger by the busy Phillips.

The hosts had failed to muster up any opportunities in the first-half, but were quick out of the blocks in the second. Kerry Morgan struck a left-foot shot from 30 yards but was off-target, whilst moments later, Morgan's free-kick was deflected away for a corner. Field had their best chance to get back into the game following good work by top scorer Lewis Powell on the right, with his pass to onrushing Ben Withey blazed over from just inside the box.

Chances for Hereford were few and far between, but they conjured up a good passing move on the right side of the pitch, with Mills and Jimmy Oates involved; eventually a ball into the box was cushioned down by Symons to Mills and a right-foot shot from close-range was deflected off Phillips; Plummer challenged the defender for the looping loose ball and saw his effort hit the bar before Phillips gathered.

Mangotsfield had a couple of half-chances with Morgan firing over from 25 yards after finding a pocket of space, and Powell curling into the arms of Alex Harris from an acute angle, before Hereford really should have added a second. A Harris boot forward was nodded on by Symons and Mills was away but his well-placed strike towards the corner was superbly diverted around the post by Phillips. 

Pablo Haysham Came On Late In The Game
In injury-time, Hereford sub Haysham, rather than running down the clock, nut-megged his marker but shot high and wide from out on the left.

It was always going to be a tough evening for Hereford against Mangotsfield, but McGrath's moment of magic, coupled with an impressive back-line, meant that three more points were picked up for the title hunt. Difficult to pick out a man of the match; Harris did what he had to do well, but was largely untroubled, Mark Preece was dominant in the air and let little get by him on the ground, whilst Symons held the ball up well in the first-half, but faded in the second.

Next up for Hereford is the visit of in-form Taunton Town on Saturday at Edgar Street; former Bull Ross Staley is set to return for the visitors, who have won their last nine league games.

Hereford: Harris, Oates, Preece, Fortune, Edwards, Molyneux, Edge, McGrath (Haysham), Plummer (Sinclair), Symons, Mills.

Subs not used: Horsell, Barnes, Cuss.