Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Gulls Boss Unsure of his Future After Takeover

Rob Purdie and Harry Pell celebrate Delroy Facey's goal against Torquay, but the win wasn't enough to avoid the drop to the Conference in 2012
The takeover of National League side Torquay United has left manager Kevin Nicholson unsure of his future.

Swindon-based Gaming International agreed a deal for the Plainmoor club on Friday, and this is expected to go through within the next few days.

"I don’t know what their plans are with the club," club legend Nicholson told BBC Devon.

"They’re the new owners of the club, so they are in a position where whatever they choose to do with me, with the club and everything else they’re well within their rights to do it."

"Until I’ve sat and had a chat with them and heard what they’ve had to say, and I get a chance to put my side of it over and explain to them where I think we need to improve and what we need to do, then there’s not much I can say.

"I took the job last year and my targets haven’t changed, my targets are to give this club back to the community, to get the club back in the Football League and to be around to see that."

The deal will see the current board step down, with Gaming International, Riviera Stadium Limited, becoming the club's new owners.

"I am pleased and relieved at the same time as the club's been in dire straits for quite some time now financially," outgoing chairman David Phillips told BBC Sport.

"We need a major investment into the club and that's what's going to happen."

"They've put a significant amount of money in already and are ready to put in a lot more as well," he added.