Next Game: Preseason Friendly - Evesham Away on Tuesday 17th July at 7.45pm

Monday, December 19, 2016

From the Archives: Young Bulls triumph in Bournemouth shoot-out

December 19th is a date that will stick in the minds of most HUFC fans, but for the youth team of 2013/14 it holds a very different meaning.

Three years ago today, Pete Beadle's side beat AFC Bournemouth in the FA Youth Cup to set up an away tie at Manchester City. After taking the game to extra time, they lost 3-1. 

After the game, Pete Beadle spoke to BBC H&W.

"I'm sure anyone who was there will tell you that both teams put on a fantastic performance and everybody left throughly entertained," said Beadle.

"For us as a youth team and the football club the win is massive.

"What they have achieved is exactly the same as if our first team had got to the fourth round of the FA Cup.

"Four of our six games have been away from home, we've had some long trips.

"We've been to Chesterfield, Bournemouth and now we're going to Manchester. All this will stand them in good stead for when they move on into senior football."

Five players from the starting that evening have featured for an Edgar Street side. They are Billy Murphy, Max Kontic-Coveney, Jarrod Bowen, Dylan Bonella and Ben Miller.

Jarrod Bowen is now at Premier League side Hull City and has made a handful of first team appearances so far this season, but he scored his first senior goal in front of the Meadow End playing for Hereford United.

Here is BN's short report from the youth game at Bournemouth:

The Squad Pictured After The Game
The Hereford United U18’s under the supervision of Peter Beadle and Steve Jenkins  were victorious at Bournemouth this evening winning on penalties after extra time following an opening goal from Jarrod Bowen and an equaliser from Luke Holmes.

The opening exchanges were frantic with both sides guilty of surrendering possession too easily.  As the half progressed, The Bulls started to play some good football with Billy Murphy and Dylan Bonella prominent in midfield.

The first goal came around the half hour mark when a long ball forward from keeper Kyle Moore was flicked on by Cory Williams and Jarrod Bowen reacted quickly to lob over advancing home keeper Holmes.

Jarred Bowen Scoring Hereford's Goal
Play continued to swing from end to end in an entertaining match without either keeper being greatly trouble before the break. 

HT Bournemouth 0 Bulls 1

The hosts came out with more purpose and determination in the second period and Billy Murphy had to take one for the team taking out Quidgley near the halfway line as Bournemouth broke dangerously.  The Cherries fullback Calum Buckley joined him in the referee’s notebook for a petulant reaction.

Cory Williams saw a close range header saved by the keeper before the equaliser came with ten minutes remaining following a move down the left involving the impressive Mason Walsh.  When the ball arrived in the Hereford box a goalmouth scramble ensued and substitute Luke Holmes stabbed home from ten yards.

90 mins Bournemouth 1 Bulls 1

Extra time came and went without further scoring although a fine move down the Bulls’ left finished with Tom Brock’s shot coming back off the upright.

In the penalty shoot-out, Billy Murphy stroked home the first with the hosts responding before missing at the third spot-kick.  Dylan Bonella and Ben Miller took the score to 4-3 before Holmes pulled off a fine save to deny Cory Saunders.  With The Cherries requiring to score their fifth, Kyle Moore dived to his right to save from Simpson and send The Bulls into the final 32 of the competition and a meeting with Manchester City in the next round.

The Save That Won The Game For The Bulls
Penalties Bournemouth 3 Bulls 4

Bulls:- Moore, Burgess, Saunders, Murphy, Gregory, Kontic, Bowen (Brock), James (Haines), Williams, Bonella, Miller.  Unused Subs Fletcher, Evans.

Bournemouth - Holmes, Lee, Buckley, Kaye, Randall, Harris, Butcher, Simpson, Roberts, Quigley, Walsh.