Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Thursday, November 03, 2016

Speculation That Clayton Fortune Could Be Joining Hereford


Clayton Fortune On Trial With Hereford In July 2012
There is speculation that Clayton Fortune may be the defender that Hereford could be about to sign. The 33 year old has played at a high level including spells at Spurs and Bristol City and had a trial with Hereford United in July 2012.

Fortune has recently been released by Weston Super Mare.

A statement from the club confirmed he had left.

“Clayton has given loyal service to the club throughout two spells at the Woodspring Stadium and has been a very popular member of the squad. During the current season Clayton has been a good captain.

“In releasing Clayton from his contract now we hope this will assist him in finding another club very shortly.”

Fortune has also commented.

“I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at the club. The players are amazing both on and off the pitch – some of the weirdest but best I’ve come across in football.

“The fans and staff, from the stewards to the boardroom have been great since day one and I wish the club the very best in the future. I will keep an eye on the results and the club will have a place in my heart and maybe I will return in another capacity.”

Fortune has missed Weston's last couple of games.

"Clayton has been a good player for Weston for a number of years but I just felt if I wasn’t going to use him today there was no point bringing him along.," said manager Scott Bartlett last week.

"I want us to have a competitive squad and if that means some are left out and left at home then so be it." 

Hereford manager Peter Beadle confirmed on Tuesday evening he was hoping to sign another defender.

"We are a defender short at the moment and I think we need another one," he said.

"If it comes off it'll be a good one for us. Another one that will bring, people might raise their eyebrows, even more experience to the team.

"Someone who has played at a much higher level than we have at the moment.

"I'm excited about it if it comes off."