Next Game: Pre-Season Friendly - Melksham Town Away on Saturday 7th July

Sunday, October 02, 2016

Tonbridge Angels 4 – Hereford 2

Hereford travelled to higher-graded Tonbridge Angels in Saturday’s FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round tie, but the Kent side easily booked themselves a place in Monday’s draw. 

Joel Edwards Captained Hereford
Bulls Boss Pete Beadle made two changes to the side that beat Slimbridge 3-0 in the league at Edgar Street midweek. Joel Edwards started for the first time since 9th August as he returned to the starting XI to replace the injured Chris Barker at left back. Chris Parry dropped to the bench as Jamie Willets took his place alongside Ryan Green in the heart of defence.

Tonbridge got themselves off to the best possible start, taking the lead with just 2 minutes on the clock. Jamie Willets was adjudged to have fouled ex-Bull Nathan Elder 20-yards out, and after beating the four-man wall, Luke Allen’s free kick nestled in the bottom left hand corner of the net past the static Alex Harris.

With Hereford unable to get a foothold in the game, they found themselves trailing by two goals 7 minutes later. Nick Wheeler made progress down the left flank before rounding his man and cutting into the box. Wheeler fired across Hereford’s keeper Harris, with his left-footed shot going in off the inside of the upright.

In the 18th minute, Hereford came close to pulling a goal back through Jamie Edge. A determined Tristan Plummer had prevented the ball going behind for a goal kick, but his shot from a tight angle was cleared as far as Edge by the feet of the keeper. Despite being in space on the edge of the area, his tame shot was easily claimed by home keeper Anthony Di Bernado.

Hereford’s best chance of the half fell to Tristan Plummer on the half hour mark. The ex-Bristol City man created himself a perfect shooting opportunity on the right-hand side of the area, but his powerful effort sailed just wide of the mark.

Tristan Plummer's Shot
HT: Tonbridge Angels 2 – Hereford 0

The Bulls made their only change of the game at the start of the second period, with Pablo Haysham returning from injury to replace Jake Sinclair on the left of midfield.

With 49 minutes on the clock, Jamie Willets should’ve done better to open the scoring for Hereford. Jack Parter conceded a corner for the hosts after blocking Plummer’s cross from the right. Jamie Edge delivered the ball into the heart of the area, but Willets was unable to connect as the danger was swiftly dealt with by the Angels.

Moments later, a defensive error by Tonbridge meant that Mike Symons picked up a loose ball within the 18-yard box, but neither him or Tristan Plummer were able to get a shot away as the Lilywhites missed an opportunity to pull a goal back.

The task of getting through to the 4th Qualifying Round was made even harder for Hereford in the 64th minute as Tonbridge increased their lead to three goals. The well-positioned Craig Dundas was easily able to convert Jack Parter’s cross from the left.

There was a slight glimmer of hope for the visitors 3 minutes later. Tristan Plummer played a neat ball into the box, with John Mills able to direct the ball past Di Bernado with his right-footed shot from close-range.

John Mills (Behind Tonbridge Number Eight)

It wasn’t long however until Tonbridge firmly re-established their position in the driving seat, as Luke Blewden made it four. A sloppy pass from Edge within his own half was intercepted by Nick Wheeler, subsequently playing a through-ball to Luke Blewden who found the back of the net with ease.

In the 87th minute, Jamie Edge nipped in front of the keeper to neatly finish a Joel Edwards cross. But it was a case of too little too late for the Bulls as they crashed out of the FA Cup. 

Next up is Hereford’s first game in the FA Trophy since reforming, when they travel to Wiltshire where they face fellow phoenix club Salisbury on Saturday October 8th.

FT: Tonbridge Angels 4 – Hereford 2
Att: 1,112

Tonbridge Angels: Di Bernardo, Folkes, Parter, Parkinson (c), Miles, Phipp (Whitnell), Fortnam-Tomlinson (Scannell), Allen, Elder (Blewden – 64’), Dundas, Wheeler.
Subs not used: Udogi, Lawlor.

Hereford: A. Harris, Purdie, Green, Willets, Edwards (c), Plummer, Edge, McGrath, Sinclair (Haysham – 46’), Mills, Symons.
Subs not used: Parry, Staley, Huntbach, Horsell.