Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Boston At Edgar Street On Saturday April 20th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Sunday, October 02, 2016

Manager Told Us To Go Straight At Them Said Elder

Nathan Elder Acknowledging Hereford Supporters After The Game
Former Hereford United player Nathan Elder led the Tonbridge line this afternoon. Afterwards he spoke to BN.

Coming after two defeats, Elder admitted that they needed the victory.

"We had to, to be honest, we've had two bad performances previous to this.

"We owed it to ourselves, the gaffer, the fans to make sure we had a bit of a bounce back. We had a couple of people back from injury as well.

"We had no choice, we had to win."

Tonbridge had a great start scoring twice in the first nine minutes.

"Two minutes in it's exactly what you want, you want to put your foot on the gas and get going and that's exactly what the manager said that he wanted us to go out and go straight at them."

Elder knew two of Hereford's players who were at Edgar Street at the same time he was.

Rob Purdie And Ryan Green
"I knew Purdie and Greeny. It was a bit strange to be playing against them but at the same time I knew I had to do a bit because I know Greeny is a strong lad and Purdie is experienced as well as the other lads.

"There's some good quality there as they've been showing in the league.

"I did my home work on them and I had to make sure, not only just me but the boys I am playing with, we came out and gave it our all.

Pablo Haysham came on at half time and Hereford looked better with him on the pitch.

"To be fair they made those changes and so the next goal was as important as any. When we came out we made sure we wanted to get the first one because if they had got it at 2-1 it could have been a bit of a struggle. Then with the lead you can sit back and soak it all in.

"We had to score that third goal. And it did us a massive favour.

"It's a strange position to be in when you're 2-0 up you get nervous, We've been there before. We played the top of our league and we were 2-0 up at half time and they came up and scored straight away and we ended the game 2-2. We had to learn from that lesson.

"I've been here about two and a half years. I was on loan here from Dover a couple of years after I left Hereford.

"I get on really, really well with the manager, I don't live too far from the ground, it's quite a family place as well. My kids love it here as well. It's a good place to be.

Elder didn't score today.

"I've scored seven so far in twelve appearances. Good start. Bit of a goal drought now, none in there games.

"Our wingers as you could see are rapid  and good quality so hopefully I can get a few more."