Next Game: Preseason Friendly - Evesham Away on Tuesday 17th July at 7.45pm

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Winchester City 0 – Hereford 2

Mike Symons On Target For Hereford
For this afternoon’s game away at Winchester City, Hereford manager Pete Beadle was forced into making two changes from the team that beat Romulus 3-0 on Tuesday; with Aaron Birch departing the club, Rob Purdie partnered Jamie Edge in the heart of midfield, as Chris Barker came back into the side to slot in at left back. With Pablo Haysham’s suspension starting this afternoon, Ross Staley filled in on the left wing.

Within the opening minute, Winchester had registered a shot on target after Jason Silver latched onto the end of Craig Feeney’s cross, but Harris was able to smother the effort to prevent the hosts from taking an early lead.
Moments later, John Mills came close to opening the scoring after connecting well with Tristan Plummer's cross, but Mills unable to control his header as the ball went harmlessly wide of Lewis Noice’s goal.

With 11 minutes on the clock, the Bulls should’ve taken the lead through either John Mills or Tristan Plummer. After Mills burst into the box, his powerful effort was blocked by Robbie Matthews. With the ball falling to Tristan Plummer on the right hand side of the box, his effort was also blocked, before Winchester cleared the danger.  But 4 minutes later, Hereford were able to take the lead.

Some great play by Jimmy Oates and Tristan Plummer down the right flank, resulted in Plummer being able to cross the ball into Mike Symons at the far post. Symons made no mistake, forcing the ball over the line score his 30th goal in a Hereford shirt.

A Cross From Tristan Plummer

Meets John Mills

And Onto Mike Symons Who Scores

In the 21st minute, Hereford’s lead was extended after Jamie Ford turned the ball into the back of his own net. John Mills combined effectively with Chris Barker, allowing the 36 year old to round his man before crossing the ball into the box; but under no pressure from Hereford, Ford diverted the ball past his own keeper.

John Mills Passed The Ball To Chris Barker

Who Gets Around A Defender And Sends The Ball Across The Face Of Goal

However Somehow The Ball Appears To Hit Jamie Ford

Who Deflected It Into The Net

The half slowed up after the second goal, with limited chances for either side. Hereford next tested the keeper 4 minutes from the break; when Ross Staley worked his way into the box, but his left-footed shot was saved by the sprawling keeper.

HT: Winchester City 0 – Hereford 2

5 minutes after the restart it was once again Staley who came close to extending Hereford’s lead. His impressive solo run into the box ended with his rising shot clearing Noice’s crossbar.

In the 56th minute as John Mills waited for Robbie Matthews' clearance to fall to him, he was barged in the back by Joe Hayward, leaving the referee pointing immediately to the spot. Up stepped Mills who would’ve been hoping to score in his 8th consecutive game, but his cleanly struck spot kick was well-saved by the keeper.

Joe Hayward Leaps Onto John Mills

But Mills Failed To Score From The Penalty
Hereford continued to push for a third goal, with a strong penalty shout after Ross Bottomley appeared to get a hand to Jimmy Oates’ well-worked cross from the edge of the area.

The remainder of the game saw Hereford limited to only one or two shots, the best of which fell to John Mills in the 88th minute. Mills managed to get on the end of a long ball forward from defence, but his shot failed to trouble the keeper as it rolled harmlessly wide of the upright.

FT: Winchester City 0 – Hereford 2
Attendance: 482
Highlights (click here) 

Winchester City: Noice, Hayward █ (Holloway – 74’), Ford, Evans, Bottomley, Matthews, Briggs, Green (c), Feeney, Wilson (King – 84’), Silver.
Subs not used: Neighbour, Hannah, Reily.

Hereford: Harris, Oates, Barker, Edge, Green , Parry, Plummer, Purdie (c), Mills, Staley, Symons.
Subs not used: Edwards, Willets, Huntbach, Horsell.