Next Game: Preseason Friendly - Newport County At Edgar Street on Saturday 21th July at 3.00pm

Monday, September 12, 2016

South And West Weekend Review

A review of last weekend's Southern South and West results written by Steve Whitney.

Hereford FC look like they`re going to take some stopping in the EVO-STIK League Southern's Division One South & West as they made it seven wins out of seven at Winchester City on Saturday.

The visiting Bulls` fans who boosted the gate at The Denplan City Ground to 482 saw Mike Symons give the visitors a 14th minute lead. And a James Ford own goal in the 25th minute eventually proved enough for Hereford, who could even afford to see John Mills` penalty saved by Lewis Noice.

Tiverton Town and Slimbridge are the only other teams yet to taste defeat in 2016-17, with Tivvy powering to a 5-2 success at relegated Paulton Rovers. Owen Howe bagged a brace for the Yellows, with Jamie Short and Levi Landricombe making it 3-0 at the break. Jordan Ricketts pulled one back for Rovers before Howe`s second and Kailan Gould reduced the deficit again ahead of Jamie Price making it a nap hand for Tivvy.

Slimbridge are unbeaten but recorded a fourth draw in six games on Saturday, Jack Tywman giving them a 39th minute lead, only for Luke Holmes to rescue a point for Wimborne Town 13 minutes from time.

At the other end of the table, Bridgwater Town and Wantage Town are yet to record a win.
Bridgwater became Yate Town`s first victims of the new season, by the odd goal in five in which Jack Ball bagged a brace for the home side inside 13 minutes. Syd Camper five minutes before the break and Ben Palmer on 76 minutes pulled the visitors back on terms, only for Kye Thomas to win it for Yate three minutes later.

Wantage lost 2-1 at Bishops Cleeve, whose Jacob Davidge after eight minutes and Ben Hayes on the half-hour mark had them two-up, with Mark Francis` penalty 13 minutes from time proving to be just a consolation for the Alfredians.

The games between Evesham United, who had debutant Leroy Odiero sent-off on 75 minutes, and AFC Totton and Swindon Supermarine and Larkhall Athletic, both ended goalless, although the Larks finished with nine-man following dismissals for Dan Jones and keeper Ben John in the final 10 minutes.

Taunton Town led North Leigh 2-0 with goals from Jordan Rogers in the eighth and 24th minutes before the Oxfordshire side fought back to level through George Seacole and Morgan Williams in the second half.

A crowd of 630 at the Ray Mac saw promoted Salisbury FC and relegated Bideford share a thrilling 4-4 draw. A see-saw encounter saw Biddy lead through Sean Downing after 16 minutes. Sam Roberts equalised on 28 minutes but the visitors restored their advantage through Jamie Richards on 33 minutes and extended it through Ben Watson two minutes after the break. However, the Whites battled back to lead 4-3 through Justin Bennett on 56 minutes, Kane O`Keefe three minutes later and then Lewis Benson on 73 minutes, only for Ian Sampson to grab Bideford`s leveller in the sixth minute of stoppage time!

In contrast, Adam Price`s 19th minute effort proved enough for Shortwood United at another of the newcomers, Barnstaple Town, while Didcot Town went down to a 2-0 home defeat to Mangotsfield United, for whom a Luke Carnell own goal and Ben Withey were on the mark.