Next Game: Boston Away on Saturday 27th October at 3pm

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Six out of six for Hereford

Hereford FC made it six wins out of six this season, with a comfortable 2-0 away victory at Barnstaple Town FC. Sporting a fashionable yellow third kit, Peter Beadle's team scored twice in the first-half through Mike Symons and John Mills, before Rob Purdie missed a second-half penalty. 703 supporters were in attendance on a warm and sunny afternoon in North Devon.

After last week's thrilling comeback against Alvechurch, Beadle made two changes to the starting line up. Symons and Tristan Plummer returned to the starting line-up, with Aaron Birch benched, and Joe Tumelty having left for pastures new.

Hereford started brightly with Symons flicking the ball onto Plummer, who failed to make a clean connection from close-range. A similar move however led to the opener; a long throw from Chris Barker was collected by Symons, who turned away from goal and then back towards it, holding off the defender and firing in to the back of the net with his left-foot via the crossbar.

Mike Symons Operned The Scoring

Purdie blazed a long-range shot off-target, before going closer with a clever half-volley following a Pablo Haysham corner. The second goal of the afternoon came towards the end of the half, after a superb Hereford move. Martin Horsell quickly rolled the ball out to Barker, who found Haysham on the left. He cut inside and sprayed a pass to Ryan Green, who then played the ball to Jimmy Oates. The Australian right-back fed Plummer, who sent a perfect cross to John Mills and he clinically headed it into the corner of the goal. 

Tristam Plummer With The Cross

Which John Mills Met And Scored

Barnstaple offered little going forward, and their best chance of the game came just before half-time; their left-back flashed a 20 yard free-kick a foot past the post.

The game really should have been put beyond doubt just after the interval when Hereford were awarded a penalty, following a trip to Haysham, having controlled an Oates cross and showing quick feet to skip past his man before being felled. 

Pablo Haysham Wins The Penalty

Purdie stepped up but hammered the ball off the bar, before it was cleared. Haysham then cleared the bar from close-range after a fine pass from Mills from the by-line.

Further chances for Hereford followed; Jamie Edge's crisp low strike went past the post, before Jamie Cuss replaced Plummer on the right-wing. The former Westfield's marksman was instantly involved, crossing for Symons, who held off his marker but snatched at his shot and it went past the far-post. Birch and Ross Staley came on for the closing stages, replacing Mills, who was struggling with what looked to be cramp, and Purdie. Barnstaple had the final chance of the game, but a long-range half volley was easy for Horsell.

Martin Horsell Had Little To Do This Afternoon
It was a routine victory for Hereford in the end, although the fans will be a little disappointed that they couldn't add to their two goals, despite a host of chances. In truth, Hereford took their foot off the gas in the second-half, perhaps with the heat taking impact, or the thought of Monday afternoon's encounter with Bishops Cleeve on the mind. Jimmy Oates had another energetic display at right-back, whilst Jamie Edge looked composed in the middle of the park and benefited from a large playing surface, whilst up top, Symons took his goal superbly and won the majority of his battles with the Barnstaple defenders.

Supporters have little time to wait for Hereford's next game; Bishops Cleeve visit Edgar Street on bank holiday Monday. Cleeve picked up their first win of the season today, battling to a 3-2 victory over AFC Totton.

Hereford: Horsell, Oates, Green, Willets, Barker, Plummer, Purdie, Edge, Haysham, Symons, Mills.

Subs: Harris, Parry, Birch, Staley, Cuss.

Attendance: 703.

Goalscorers: Symons, Mills.