Next Game: Preseason Friendly - Newport County At Edgar Street on Saturday 21th July at 3.00pm

Thursday, May 19, 2016

Road to Wembley: Bulls Charge into Last 16

After getting past Brocton in the third round, Hereford set up a home tie against Leicester Nirvana, who at the time topped the United Counties League.

The game was abandoned at half time with the Whites leading 3-1 due to rain making the pitch unplayable, with goals coming from John Mills (pen), Dylan Bonella and Mike Symons.
With the FA confirming the result wouldn't stand, the match was rescheduled for the following Saturday.

Onto the game, Pete Beadle's Hereford side remained unchanged, but Damion Beckford-Quailey made 3 changes as Nirvana lined-up in a slightly more defensive manner.

With 11 minutes on the clock, Jimmy Oates was awarded a corner after he was dispossessed by David Murphy. With Dylan Bonella taking the corner short to Pablo Haysham, he was upended by William Gonga as he cut into the box, but the referee waived the penalty shout as the danger was quickly cleared by Leicester's defence.

Foul in the area?
Just shy of the half hour mark, Joel Edwards did well to keep the ball in play down the left-wing as he linked up well with Mustapha Bundu. With John Mills offering support, they played a nice one-two as Mills created enough space for himself to get a shot away. As the Hereford Marksman tried his luck from an acute angle, he slotted the ball under Flinders with his left-foot.

Mills gets around Flinders and slots the ball home
Mills celebrates goal 39
4 minutes later John Mills managed to double the Bulls’ lead as he grabbed his 40th goal of the season. With Mills cutting in from the right after receiving Haysham’s cross-field ball, he rounded David Murphy before unleashing a shot from 12-yards. Despite Flinders getting something on Mills’ shot, it wasn’t enough to prevent the ball from bobbling into the back of the net.

Symons offering support, but Mills opts to shoot instead
Further celebrations in front of the Meadow End
With 59 minutes on the clock, John Mills and Pablo Haysham combined effectively down the right as Mills managed to cross the ball into the box. Shaun Phillips failed to clear the danger as Mike Symons got on the end of the loose ball, volleying powerfully past the keeper.

Symons connects with the clearance
Celebrations with skipper Joel Edwards
In the 83rd minute, substitute Ross Staley played through Mike Symons, and after breaking into the box had little trouble in finding the back of the net with his left-foot finish.

Symons fires past the defender
And the defender
With 87 minutes on the clock, Hereford increased their lead with the 5th goal of the afternoon. Aaron Birch received the ball on the edge of area from substitute Sirdic Grant, subsequently driving the ball into the bottom left hand corner of the net past the outstretched arm of the keeper.

Aaron Birch fires home
Celebrations with Joe Tumelty and Joel Edwards

As the game entered stoppage time, Hereford kept pushing Leicester's tiring defence. After coming on in place of John Mills earlier on in the half, Ross Staley marked his debut sealing Hereford’s place in the last 16 of the FA Vase. Staley found himself in space on the right of the box, and with a beautiful left-foot finish, left James Flinders helpless in the Nirvana goal to send over 2,800 Hereford fans home happy.

Ross Staley scores on his debut
FT: Hereford 6 – Leicester Nirvana 0
Att: 2,842
MotM: Jimmy Oates

Hereford: Horsell, Oates, Edwards, Bonella, Green, Summers, Bundu (Grant – 87’), Birch, Mills (Staley – 80’), Haysham (Tumelty – 74’), Symons.
Subs: Kontic-Coveney, Willets.

Read the report from the abandoned match here (link) and the rescheduled game (link).