Next Game: Preseason Friendly - Newport County At Edgar Street on Saturday 21th July at 3.00pm

Monday, May 02, 2016

Hereford 5 – Westfields 1

Rob Purdie And Joel Edwards With The HFA County Challenge Cup
Hereford lifted their second trophy of the season at Edgar Street this afternoon, after beating Westfields 5-1 who had won the HFA County Challenge Cup for the last 5 seasons.

There were 3 changes to the Hereford side that rounded of their league fixtures with a 3-1 win at Shepshed Dynamo on Saturday, with Mustapha Bundu, Pablo Haysham and Nathan Summers starting in the places of the Joe Tumelty, John Mills and the injured Jamie Willets.

Playing towards the Meadow End in the first half, Hereford started the derby brightly creating the first clear cut chance of the game. Pablo Haysham got on the end of Sirdic Grant looping header, breaking towards goal. But after laying off to Mustapha Bundu, his subsequent right footed shot was charged down by Kane Kahaki, reaching Grant on the edge of the area, teeing up Bundu. But once again Bundu’s shot took a deflection as the ball went behind for a fruitless corner.

With 9 minutes on the clock, Mike Symons had a great chance to put the Bulls ahead following some good build up play. Pablo Haysham couldn’t connect with Bundu’s curling cross from the left, but Mike Symons was on hand with a strike from 18-yards, firing wide of Matt Gwynne goal. 

In the 23rd minute, Hereford had the ball in the back of the net, only for it to be disallowed. Mike Symons was fouled by ex-Hereford player Sam Gwynne, with the referee awarding a free kick 25-yards out. Rob Purdie’s floating delivery was headed home by Mike Symons, who was adjudged to have been offside by the linesman.

Mike Symons Appeared To Be Onside
Another foul on Symons 10 minutes later, this time within the 18-yard box, left referee Thomas Jones with little option but to award Hereford a penalty. With Jimmy Oates off the pitch receiving treatment, Rob Purdie stepped up to take the spot kick, firing the ball into the roof of the net to put the Bulls ahead.

Mike Symons Appeals For A Penalty

Mustapha Bundu And Captain Rob Purdie Discuss Who Should Take The Penalty
6 minutes from half time, Mike Symons grabbed Hereford’s second. Sirdic Grant intercepted Sam Plane’s clearance, whipping the ball back into the box from the right. Symons met Grant’s delivery with a diving header from point-blank range to double the scoring.

Sirdic Grant's Cross

Goes Straight To Mike Symons Who Heads Past Keeper Matt Gwynne

Going into half time, the Bulls had a 3 goal lead courtesy of a James Pilling goal. Mustapha Bundu combined effectively with James Bowen, as the Cheltenham loanee crossed the ball in from the left. With a perfectly timed run from Pilling, he knocked the ball in at the far post.

James Pilling Scored Hereford's Third
HT: Hereford 3 – Westfields 0

With the Whites hoping to build on a comfortable first half, Pablo Haysham went close moments after the restart. He did well to beat his man, before forcing ‘Fields stopper Mat Gwynne into making a fine save to deny him his 30th goal of the season.

Mustapha Bundu was then unlucky not to score with two consecutive efforts 15 minutes into the second period. After breaking away down the left wing, Bundu drifted into the penalty area having right-footed effort from a tight angle cleared off the line by Sam Plane.
Then moments later, Rob Purdie found Mustapha Bundu on the edge of the box, but his subsequent shot was high and wide of the target.

In the 69th minutes, Grant scored his 3rd goal in a Hereford shirt, which will also probably be his last ever goal at Edgar Street. The 19 year old got on the end of an accurate through ball from Rob Purdie, before rounding keeper Matt Gwynne to calmly slot the ball home into the back of an unguarded net.

Sirdic Grant Goes Around The Keeper To Score Hereford's Fourth Goal

But 6 minutes later, the reigning champions pulled a goal back through substitute Blaine Waugh. James Baldwin crossed the ball to the feet of Waugh, who easily slotted the ball home for what only proved to be a consolation goal for Sean Edwards’ men.

The visitors could’ve grabbed a second goal in the 80th minute, with the referee awarding Westfields a free kick right on the edge of the penalty area after a foul on Phil Glover; however, Callum McOnie’s effort hit Hereford’s wall as the danger was cleared.

With 85 minutes on the clock, referee Thomas Jones awarded Hereford their second penalty of the game following a foul from Phil Glover on Mike Symons, as James Febery was given his marching orders after being shown his second yellow for dissent. With Jimmy Oates yet to score this season, he stepped up to take the spot kick, firmly planting the ball in the back of the net.

Jimmy Oates' Well Struck Penalty Nestles In The Back Of The Net

Players Surround Oates After His First Goal For The Club

Jimmy Oates
Hereford are still on course for the quadruple, having already lifted the MFL Premier trophy, and as of today, the County Cup. The Bulls are next in action at Solihull Moors for the League Cup final against Wallsall Wood next Tuesday, before a certain match at Wembley on May 22nd.

FT: Hereford 5 – Westfields 1
Att: 2,188
MotM: Rob Purdie

Hereford: Horsell, Oates, Bowen, Purdie, Green, Summers, Grant (Birch – 87’), Pilling, Bundu (Edwards – 71’), Haysham (Mills – 64’), Symons.
Subs not used: Laird, Robbins.

Westfields: M. Gwynne, Saunston, Plane Febery, Glover, Khaki, S. Gwynne, Cuss, Thomas, Reeve, Baldwin.
Subs: McOnie, Jackson, Waugh, Bendall, Hopkins.