Next Game: Preseason Friendly - Newport County At Edgar Street on Saturday 21th July at 3.00pm

Thursday, April 28, 2016

Hereford 3 – Stourport 0

Hereford went into the second leg of the Polymac Packaging League Cup at a cold and wet Edgar Street this evening with a one goal advantage thanks to John Mills’ goal in the return fixture 7 days ago. A similar starting XI took to the field to the one that played at Walshes Meadow last Thursday, with the only changes being Martin Horsell making way for Harvey Rivers in goal, and Joel Edwards returning from injury as James Bowen dropped to the bench.

In the opening stages of the game, Ross Staley did well to get on the end of a long ball forward from defender Jamie Laird, cutting the ball back to Dylan Bonella; but the former youth team player was unlucky to see his cross blocked as Hereford were awarded a corner. Bonella's subsequent inswinging delivery was headed down by Laird, but John Mills' poked his effort wide for a Stourport goalkick.

As the half progressed, there were no clear cut chances for either side until just shy of the half hour mark, when John Mills had the perfect chance to put the Bulls ahead. Visiting keeper Dominic Richards raced off his line to try and dispossess Mills, but after Hereford’s 50-goal striker rounded Richards, he took too many touches ahead of the backtracking defence with the ball harmlessly rolling out of play.

With 4 minutes until the break, Swifts had a chance to open the scoring through Reece Shilvock, who had his penalty saved by Martin Horsell in the first leg last week. Shilvock’s rasping effort from the edge of the area stung the hands of Rivers’ as he managed to pushed the effort over of the crossbar.

HT: Hereford 0 - Stourport Swifts 0

There were a flurry of chances early in the second half, with Ross Staley going close 4 minutes after the restart. Staley did well to get a shot away from the edge of the box, but the keeper had little difficulty in gathering the weak effort to keep the scores level.
But at the other end of the field, Harvey Rivers was quickly called into action and pulled off another fine save, denying Ben Maund’s strike from point-blank range.
John Mills then missed another sitter, beating the keeper and creating a well-worked shooting opportunity for himself, but somehow fired wide with the goal gaping.

With 59 minutes on the clock, Hereford finally broke the deadlock scoring twice in 2 minutes. The first goal game courtesy of a Ross Staley free kick on the left wing. As the curling delivery beat the 3-man wall, Jamie Hyde redirected the ball past his own static keeper to gift the Whites the lead.

Mustapha Bundu, who had been quiet for the Bulls during the game, found the back of the net in the 61st minute. As the keeper came out to challenge Ross Staley, he offloaded to Bundu who made no mistake from 12-yards with a right footed shot.

Another quiet period followed, with little in the way of action until the third and final goal of the evening 5 minutes from time. Dylan Bonella’s corner from the right was headed out to John Mills on the far side, but his redelivery into the box was turned into the back of the net by Stourport’s Joe Robinson to cement Hereford’s place in their third final of the season.

FT: Hereford 3 – Stourport 0
Agg: 4-0
Att: 2,456
Sponsors’ MotM: Anthony Robbins and the entire Hereford squad.

Hereford: Rivers, Kontic-Coveney, Edwards, Pilling, Summers, Laird, Bundu, Bonella, Mills, Robbins, Staley (Grant – 71’).
Subs not used: Willets, Symons, Haysham, Bowen.

Stourport Swifts: Richards, Beaumont, Hyde, Robinson, Wollacott, Fulloway, Hurrell, Wager, Canavan, Williams, Maund.
Subs: Wager, Phillips, Bailey, Hanson, Williams. 

Hereford will play Walsall Wood in the final at Solihull Moors on 10th May. Wood secured their place drawing 2-2 on aggregate with Lye Town, going through on the away goals rule.