Next Game: Altrincham Away On Monday April 22nd at 3.00pm.
Play our Sports Club Lottery

Saturday, February 06, 2016

Hartley Wintney 1 - Hereford 4

Mustapha Bundu Scored Two For Hereford
Hartley Wintney hosted Hereford in the 5th Round of the FA Vase this afternoon at the Memorial Playing Fields, for a place in the last 8 of the competition and £2,500 prize money. The original game 7 days ago was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch, but with thanks to the volunteers as well as the groundsmen from nearby Aldershot, today's game went ahead.

Bulls Boss Pete Beadle reverted back to the side that drew with promotion rivals Alvechurch in the league two weeks ago.

The game got off to a slow start with both teams taking time to get accustomed to the strong wind blowing across the pitch. Hartley could've grabbed the opener in the 9th minute from their free kick on the left flank, but despite a series of blocked shots, they couldn't find a way through Hereford's stubborn defence.

Hereford's following contingent had to wait a while for their side's first chance of the game, coming just after the half hour mark. John Mills got on the end of a long ball, and after working his way into the box, his low diagonal shot was too wide of the target to trouble Craig Atkinson in the Row's goal.

The Bulls didn't have to wait too much longer to break the deadlock though, as 2 minutes later Mustapha Bundu weaved his way through Hartley's defence, creating himself a perfect shooting opportunity. His sweet right-foot shot from the left hand side of the box beat the diving keeper at the near post, as the ball nestled in the bottom corner of the net.

Bundu Cuts From The Left And Scores

The goal seemed to give Hereford some momentum, as they looked more creative going forward. A good penalty shout followed when Joel Edwards was brought down on the edge of the area, but this was quickly dismissed by the referee. Moments later Hereford could’ve had a two-goal cushion going into half time after Pablo Haysham blazed his effort well over from 20-yards.

HT: Hartley Wintney 0 - Hereford 1

Hereford got the second half off to the best possible start, doubling their lead after 4 minutes. John Mills found Mustapha Bundu on the left wing, and as he whipped in a cross to Mike Symons, he had time to pick his spot, stabbing the ball across the line from within the congested area.

Mike Symons With Hereford's Second Goal

Which Took A While To Reach The Goal

3 minutes later Hereford further increased their lead as Mustapha Bundu grabbed his second of the game. Bundu once again beat several men on his goalward run, but despite Mills offering support, he fired home from the edge of the 18-yard box, much to the delight of the travelling fans.

Bundu Scores His Second Of The Tie

In the 58th minute Mills managed to beat the offside trap, but with the keeper coming out of his area to challenge, dispossessed Mills before he could get a shot away. Mills then had a chance to increase Hereford's lead 5 minutes later when Atkinson pulled off a fine save to deny him from 12-yards.

As a quieter period ensued, Hartley managed to break forward on the counter. As Sam Argent tried to cut into the box from the left wing, the referee adjudged a challenge on him to be worthy of a penalty, pointing unhesitatingly to the spot. As Ross Cook stepped up to take the spot kick, he duly converted, finding the bottom right-hand corner of Martin Horsell's net.

3 minutes later Hereford showed some good hold up play as they searched to regain their 3 goal lead. After retaining possession well, Aaron Birch played the ball back to Joel Edwards whose accurate cross was straight to the feet of John Mills; with a dipping effort from an acute angle, he forced the keeper into tipping the shot over the bar.
Dylan Bonella's subsequent corner was neatly delivered into the area, but Hartley's defence dealt effectively with the danger.

In the 74th minute both teams were down to 10-men following a tangle between Ross Cook and Ryan Green. With the pair involved in a number of altercations throughout the afternoon, Green's reaction earned him a straight red, as Cook picked up his second yellow.

With the game all but over, in the 5th minute of stoppage time, substitute Joe Tumelty was unlucky not to grab Hereford's 4th. After bursting through the centre, there was just the keeper left to beat, but Atkinson did well, managing to palm the ball wide for a late corner.

Joe Tumelty With A Shot That The Keeper Deflected

His Disappointment Didn't Last Long
The resulting corner was taken short by Tumelty to Mike Symons as they tried to run the clock down, but after Tumelty saw an opportunity to break into the box, he struck the ball low past the keeper to seal Hereford’s place in the quarter-finals of the FA Vase.

Tumelty Strikes The Ball For Hereford's Fourth

And Runs Towards The Hereford Supporters
FT: Hartley Wintney 1 - Hereford 4

Hartley Wintney: Atkinson, Noakes, Jones, Hollamby, Duff, L Eagle, J Paris, Everiss, Argent, Cook.
Subs: Horkan, Maddock, A Paris, Vockins, C Eagle.

Hereford: Horsell, Oates, Edwards, Bonella (Willets – 75’), Green, Summers, Bundu (Pilling – 79’), Birch, Mills, Haysham (Tumelty – 86’), Symons. 
Subs not used: Grant, Staley.

Attendance: 1120