Next Game: Altrincham Away On Monday April 22nd at 3.00pm.
Play our Sports Club Lottery

Saturday, December 12, 2015

Hereford 2 - Brocton 0

At a very blustery Edgar Street this afternoon, Hereford entertained Brocton in the 3rd round of the FA Vase. 7 changes were made to the side that beat Bromyard last weekend in the HFA Cup, including Martin Horsell being handed his first start for the Bulls. Joel Edwards was restored in the starting XI donning the captain’s armband, along with Jimmy Oates, Rob Purdie, Ryan Green, Aaron Birch and John Mills.

Following a minute’s applause in memory of former Hereford United player Mick McLaughlin who sadly passed away on Sunday, the home side kicked off attacking the Blackfriars End which has become the norm this season. After some early defending by Hereford, Rob Purdie played the ball out to Mustapha Bundu on the right wing; after drifting through the heart of midfield, he tried to feed Joe Tumelty on the right, but was just beaten to the ball by visiting keeper Calum Barrett.

With 8 minutes gone of the first half, John Mills was unlucky not to open the scoring. As Tumelty whipped in a cross from the right, Barrett managed to get his fingertips to Mills’ headed effort to tip the ball over the bar. From the resulting corner, Jimmy Oates connected with Rob Purdie’s delivery but his glancing header went wide of the upright.

Despite Hereford starting the brighter of the two sides, the half progressed into much more of a quiet affair with little in the way of chances for either side. Goalkeeper Martin Horsall did well on his debut, dealing efficiently with a handful of wind-assisted inswinging corners from the Badgers.

Horsell Rises Well To Tip A Shot Over The Bar
With Joel Edwards and Rob Purdie combining well, the Hereford skipper broke away down the left before his cross was deflected behind for a corner. 

Mustapha Bundu Rises Above Keeper Callum Barrett To Score
As Purdie’s delivery found Mustapha Bundu at the near post, he made no mistake in nodding the ball past Barrett to put the Bulls ahead.

5 minutes later a chance fell to Pablo Haysham to get his name on the score sheet. After the ball was played forward from Horsall, Haysham did well to round his man but his low shot from outside the box went wide, when passing to Bundu may have been the better option.             

HT: Hereford 1 – Brocton 0

As the referee got the second half underway, Hereford were now playing with the wind behind them. An early chance for John Mills saw his low drive go wayward, before Mustapha Bundu cleared the crossbar with his shot 2 minutes later.

With 11 minutes gone of the second half, Pablo Haysham could’ve grabbed the second goal of the game. As Joe Tumulty crossed the ball low to Haysham, his effort was blocked by the Brocton defence; a goalmouth scramble ensued with the ball finally falling at the feet of Aaron Birch, who’s shot was too high to trouble the keeper.

Pete Beadle introduced fresh legs in the form of Mike Symons and Sirdic Grant who came on to replace Joe Tumelty and Mustapha Bundu respectively. After Mills made himself space for a shot, the ball was blocked and rebounded to the feet of Mike Symons, who was unlucky not to score with his first touch of the game, but Barrett made a fine save to deny him.

In the 75th minute, Mike Symons was brought down as he cut into the box from the left. With the referee immediately pointing to the spot, John Mills stepped up in front of the Meadow End hoping to convert his spot kick. 

Keeper Barrett Got A Hand To Mills's Penalty Attempt

Barrett did well to deny Mills with a dive down low to his right, but Joel Edwards was on hand to bury the rebound with a powerful shot into the bottom right hand corner of the net.

But Joel Edwards Struck The Rebound Into The Back Of The Net

3 minutes later, referee Mark Pearson awarded a free kick to Hereford 30-yards out, following a foul by Daniel Lomas on Pablo Haysham. With Haysham trying his luck from the free kick, his shot sailed over the crossbar for nothing more than a goalkick.

Then in the dying stages of the game, a 50/50 challenge between Jimmy Oates and Kenny Devoir saw the Brocton man stretchered off and taken to hospital with what has been reported to be an Achilles injury.

FT: Hereford 2 – Brocton 0
Att: 2,025
Sponsors’ MotM: Ryan Green and Joel Edwards

Hereford: Horsell, Oates, Edwards (c), Purdie, Willets, Green, Tumelty (Symons – 71’), Birch, Mills, Heysham, Bundu (Grant – 71’).
Subs not used: Bonella, Kontic-Coveney, Rivers.

Brocton: Barrett, Ablewhite, Wilson (Devoir – 46’), Holland, Dockerty, Booth, Kinsella (c) (McMahon – 71’), Jones (Lomas), Bell, Berks, Fife.
Subs not used: McLeod, Hardiman.