Next Game: Altrincham Away On Monday April 22nd at 3.00pm.
Play our Sports Club Lottery

Saturday, November 21, 2015

Hereford 4 – Haughmond 1

Haughmond were the visitors at a chilly Edgar Street this afternoon in the second round of the FA vase. Manager Pete Beadle made no changes to the starting XI that came away with the 3 points from Bardon Hill last Saturday, but Nathan Hughes and Mustapha Bundu were named on the bench in place of the departed Nathan Summers and the ineligible Anthony Robbins.

Despite the home side attacking the Blackfriars End in the first half, the first real action of the game was in front of the Meadow End. As Aaron Birch missed his footing, Carlos Rogers was able to set up Steve Hole, but Jamie Willets was on hand to put the ball out for a corner, before Harvey Rivers was able to punch the ball away to safety.

With 6 minutes gone of the first half, Joel Edwards dispossessed Lee Ruscoe in the heart of midfield before sending John Mills on a run down the left wing. After cutting into the box and combining well with Rob Purdie, the Hereford utility man had time to compose himself in front of goal, before coolly slotting the ball past Haughmond’s goalkeeper Sam Jones with his right foot to open the scoring.

Rob Purdie Scores Hereford's First Goal

And John Mills Is First To Congratulate Him
As Hereford looked to build on their one goal lead, Houghmond dealt with two corners efficiently, and despite some good crosses by Mike Symons and Joel Edwards, Hereford somewhat lacked the cutting edge in the final third.

As Mike Symons forced a throw on the right flank, Jimmy Oates found Dylan Bonella, but the ex-youth team player failed to keep his shot down and the ball sailed harmlessly over Jones' goal.

On the half hour mark, Hereford were able to double their advantage with some impressive play between Pablo Haysham and John Mills. As Mills made a powerful run into the box, he played a nice one-two with Haysham, and after taking a deflection off Tom Hewitt, Mills shot beat Sam Jones for his 29th goal of the season.

John Mills With The Ball

Which Ends Up In The Back Of The Net
4 minutes later, following a Haughmond corner, Dylan Bonella broke forward before finding John Mills further up field. The Hereford marksman was then dispossessed by the last man as Haughmond cut out any potential danger. Minutes later the visitors could've pulled a goal back, but Kevin Renshaw saw his effort whistle past the upright.

With 3 minutes remaining of the first half, Rob Purdie played the ball to Pablo Haysham. As he worked his way into the box, he was unlucky to see his shot rattle off the upright for nothing more than a goalkick.

So Close For Pablo Haysham
HT: Hereford 2 - Haughmond 0

As referee Luis Martin got the second half underway, Sam Jones was quickly called into action to deny Aaron Birch's volley, but with only 3 minutes gone of the half, Joel Edwards’ cross was met by Pablo Haysham’s powerful header from 6-yards, although the keeper managed to get his hands to the ball, it was not enough to keep the ball out.

Haysham Heads In Hereford's Third

And Afterwards Looks Towards The Meadow End
Despite Hereford dominating the start of the second period, Haughmond were able to pull a goal back. After a long punt downfield by Sam Jones, an attempted back-header to Harvey Rivers was intercepted by Dave Howeth, who rounded Rivers. Despite Jimmy Oates managing to get back on the goal line, he was unable to stop Howeth’s strike much to the delight of the sizeable traveling support.

As Joe Tumetlty replaced Pablo Haysham in the 69th minute, he made an instant impact on the game when he was involved in the build up to Hereford’s 4th goal. With the ball being neatly played in from the left, Symons saw his rising shot hit the crossbar. Having time to control the rebound, he turned and shot passed Sam Jones.

Mike Symons's Shot Hit The Crossbar

It Rebounded To Him And He Then Made No Mistake

Symons Celebrates
With 9 minutes left of the second half, John Mills was brought down on the edge of the box, but Rob Purdie saw his low curling free kick go wide. 5 minutes later, Joe Tumelty was unlucky not to be rewarded for his efforts as he broke forward from midfield. Despite support from John Mills, Tumelty tried his luck from 18-yards, but Haughmond’s keeper Jones managed make a good save low down to his right.

Hereford comfortably saw the game out as they progressed into the draw for the third round, which is scheduled to be played on December 12th. 

FT: Hereford 4 – Haughmond 1
Att: 2,170 with around 200 making the trip down the A49
Sponsors’ MotM: Rob Purdie

Hereford FC in Action have all of today's goals on the club's official YouTube channel (link).