Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Banbury Away On Friday March 29th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Saturday, December 20, 2014

I Mourned Death Of Club In June

Yesterday Hereford United (1939 Ltd) were wound up after owner Andy Lonsdale failed to arrive in court with the desired proof of finance that would have enabled him to pay off a long list of creditors. Apparently he was stuck in traffic. It was one final shambolic act to add to the many more that had happened during his spell as advisor, chairman, director and owner.
It was the end of a long drawn out drama that has seen The Bulls lurch from one court adjournment to another. As one Hereford fan had put it on social media, ‘it simply couldn’t go on any longer‘.
I’d already made my feelings clear about what I wanted to happen to the club, when I wrote ‘Why I’m Praying ‘My Club’ Gets Wound Up‘, but yesterday’s news still came as a shock.
Many Hereford fans have expressed mixed emotions, they’re glad that the toxic ownership has now been dealt with, but sad that the club has been put to death in it’s 90th year.
Personally, I didn’t feel much sadness yesterday, I mourned for the loss of Hereford United back in June when I walked out after realising that there was no future with the likes of Andy Lonsdale and Tommy Agombar in charge. It is them and a few accomplices who are to blame for the death of the club.
Yesterday I was pleased, angry and excited. Pleased that the judge had done the right thing. Angry that the owners had ‘got away with it’ for so long. Excited because we now have a new journey to undertake.
I have supported, volunteered and worked for Hereford United since I was a ballboy at the age of 8. As well as volunteering and working as press officer, I had also volunteered in the shop, sold programmes, cleaned, painted, picked up litter and cleared snow off the pitch, I and many other fans and staff literally shed blood, sweat and tears for the club we all loved. Hereford United was a massive part of my life, as it was many others.
Despite the death of the club, our memories will always remain, and it is those memories, both happy and sad that should be the driving force behind us all as we look to build a new club: a club with integrity, a club that has it’s roots placed firmly in the community, and a club that fans have a real sense of ownership in.
So, as they say, the club is dead, long live the club.