Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

2014 – A Year to Forget


Gomez The Mexican Cat has had a year to forget: 

After a family bereavement in January, and the sad experience of watching my beloved Chloecat put to sleep in February, on Friday I was there in the High Court to see the final minutes of Hereford United (1939 Ltd).  Let me first say I know there are Bulls fans who have had equally or even worse 12 months than me, but 2014, with few exceptions, is not a year I’ll look back upon with much affection.  
 
It was a surreal experience sitting at the back of the high court, a confusing few minutes enlivened by the “stuck in traffic” excuse.  I am sorry Mr Lonsdale, but seriously, that takes the biscuit.  It’s not as if you didn’t know where the place was, or how to get there, but after going through more visits to the high court than I have reputed lives, I guess the end was inevitable.  After the joy of Aldershot, it has been downhill all the way.  

What next?  A friend reckons it will take us 10 years to get back to where we were when David Keyte sold us out.  A major reason why we ended up in the mire has been the falling attendances around Edgar Street over the years.  Even before this season’s debacle, crowds were falling at Hereford.  I heard on the radio that back in the 1970’s we were one of the best followed non-league teams in the country, but by the end that was not the case.  Last Saturday, while if there had been a viable option of football at Hereford I’d have been on the train from Paddington, not on the 51 bus to Park View Road to watch Welling United, a lot of people disillusioned by events at Edgar Street won’t be back.  It will take a lot of work to bring people together and get them back to the terraces.  I have no idea what it takes to form a new football club, other teams have done it, and there seems to be the will at Hereford to do the same but it won’t be easy.  

On Saturday, as I went through the turnstiles at Welling I was greeted with the offer of a small cup of wine and Christmas cake, a small gesture that cheered me up no end and it is the little things like that that stay in the memory.  An entertaining home win 3-1 followed, with two former Bulls – Chris Bush and Tristam Plummer on show.  On Boxing Day I have the option of visiting Aggborough to see the non-league darlings of West Midlands football Worcester City after their FA Cup heroics though I now see there is a fixture at Redditch again.  Though I’ll be back at Edgar Street, it will take more than sentiment to bring a lot of folks back to Hereford.

Financial mis-management obviously played its part.  As well as reviewing that discredited Fit and Proper Test, perhaps the FA could look into running a “Running a football club for Dummies” to help Chairmen avoid the pitfalls that befell David Keyte.  Sadly I blame him for all this mess.  I am sure it was not his intention when he started out as Chairman, but a mixture of naivety and ignorance (and I’m being kind with my adjectives here) have landed us in this mess.  The article on Bulls News today from Rob Purdie makes fascinating reading and really shows how things went wrong from the time David Keyte took over.   
There were no winners on Friday afternoon.  However, there is light at the end of the tunnel.  Hereford FC would work for me, and there is a tremendous affection for the club being demonstrated by former players who could play an important part in our future.  There was a lot we can take from our old club, not least our motto which seems so appropriate now.  May 2015 be a brighter year for us all.

Gomez the Mexican Cat