Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Boston At Edgar Street On Saturday April 20th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Friday, October 24, 2014

We Were Tipped Off About Raid Says Phelps


Hereford United assistant manager Neil Phelps was on guard at Edgar Street last night and was prepared for the possibility of a council raid on the stadium.

"We were pre-warned that somebody would be trying to enter the premises," Phelps told BN.

"So the past couple of nights I've stayed up till late to see what might happen.

"Last night about 10.30pm I had two people try to gain entry through the Vice-President's Club doors by smashing the lock out.

"I went outside to query what they were doing.

"They asked to speak to a person on the phone.

"That person said that they were the Council and they didn't realise there was anyone on the premises because all the lights were off.

"They then asked me if I was living here and I told them no.

"I'm just here because we had been pre-warned that somebody was trying to get into the premises as the back doors of the Meadow End had been left open for the past couple of days.

"There have been lots of suspicious things going on, boards have been going missing.

"I have been sat here as like security.

"I asked the Council man what they were doing and he said they were going to gain entry peacefully into the building, go through the building, change the locks and re-possess the ground.

"I asked how is it a peaceful entry when you are doing it at 10.30pm at night and you are smashing a lock. That's not a peaceful entry. To me that's quite an aggressive entry.

"He then said you are well within your rights to ask us to leave and I did that.

"And I will be staying here tonight just to make sure the Council don't come back."