Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Farsley Celtic At Edgar Street On Saturday 26th October at 3.00pm

Monday, October 21, 2013

Graham Poll And Robin Fry


Yesterday BN posted a picture from a FA Cup replay at Edgar Street.

Both games was referred by Graham Poll and he has since commented about the replay and also former Hereford United director Robin Fry.

Poll admited he shouldn't have taken charge of the games.

Red Card For Me

As a young referee I took charge of an FA Cup-tie between Hereford United and Hitchin Town on November 12th 1994.

It ended 2-2. The replay was on November 22nd.

I was born in Hitchin and although I didn't grow up there, the local paper made a bit of a fuss to welcome me back for a cup game.

Hitchin won the game 4-2 but the match ended in farce because Hitchin scored their fourth goal right on the stroke of full-time. I just blew for the end of the game, and nobody knew if I'd allowed the goal.

I had, so Robin Fry, the chairman of Hereford, came into my dressing room and called me a cheat. That's what I contend he said anyway. I reported him to the FA.

He told them he had actually called me cheap.

They said that was still an insult and therefore an offence, but he said he wanted a hearing so we all had to gone along to the FA Headquarters, which were in Lancaster Gate in West London in those days.

I didn't expect the hearing to last long but Fry had a barrister and all the questioning went on for ages. I had to ask permission to go and feed the parking meter.

One of the assistants produced a written note of what had been said, and showed everyong the word 'cheat'.

Fry was fined.