Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Banbury Away On Friday March 29th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Purdie Enjoying His Extra Responsibility



Rob Purdie now wears two hats at Edgar Street. Whilst he remains an important member of the playing squad he has taken on some fitness work at the club.

Purdie was asked about the extra responsibility he now has.

"It's longer days, it's probably a bit more like a proper job to be fair," he told BBC Hereford and Worcester.

"I'm really enjoying it.

"It's something I'm quite passionate about, the fitness side.

"I don't have anything to do with the team selection which is good for me because I'm still playing. That's still my main role here.

"But I speak to them (the management team) about the way we are going to set out the week, what sessions I can do.

"It's kind of a foot in the door. It's a chance for me and I'm really looking forward to it."

Why did Purdie return to Edgar Street?

"I had some interest from a couple of League clubs but this fitness role is right for me.

"I look at Hereford now and I'll probably stay here after my career.

"I'm looking for the next four or five years, my football, my personnel training to build up and then I can move into another career probably here in Hereford."

Purdie feels that despite a lot of new faces there's a good spirit in the dressing room at present.

"I think team spirit and a good dressing room can get you an extra 10, 15 points a season.

"When I was here for my first spell for five years we had it every season.

"We didn't quite have it when we lost our League status but I think we have it here this season.

"We're a bunch of young lads getting on well together and they've got a great attitude and they want to learn.

"It's a good recipe for, hopefully, doing well."

So what's Purdie been doing this summer?

"I had long boring days, I went to the gym a lot and did a lot of course work

"It's strange when I say in my summer I did this and others haven't even had their holidays.

"I was off for nine weeks and it was cloudy and then we come back to run around a football pitch every day and it's thirty degrees!"

And as for targets for the season?

"I want to play in as many games as I can, I want to be as effective as I can on the pitch. I'd like to chip in with a few goals.

"First and foremost I'm a player.

"But apart from that I'd like to increase my confidence in fitness work, try and work the lads and hopefully look back and I think I helped the lads do this and that.

"It's a bit different for me, it's a bit broader but I'm really looking forward to it."