Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Banbury Away On Friday March 29th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Barker Not Planning To Leave Southend


Bulls trialist Chris Barker says he has no plans to leave Southend.

The defender was a surprise inclusion for the Bulls against Wellington last week with Shrimpers' boss Phil Brown seeking to offload the 33 year old.

Brown can only sign 20 players with the club under another embargo and he was looking to cut the defender loose to make another signing, but the two parties have apparently failed to agree terms on the cancellation of the final 12 months of Barker's contract.

The player told the Echo he was disappointed to be left out of their training trip to Madrid: “It wasn’t nice not going to Madrid with the rest of the squad, but that was the gaffer’s choice and I’ve got to change his opinion on me. I will give 100 per cent to try to make that happen because I still believe I’m good enough.

“I’ve never hid away from anything in football so I’m certainly not going to now and if I have to wait my turn then so be it. I’ll keep giving my all in training and I still want to be able to finish off the thing I came to this club to do three years ago with Paul (Sturrock) and that’s to win promotion.”