Next Game: Pre-Season Friendly - Melksham Town Away on Saturday 7th July

Thursday, April 18, 2013

From The BN Archives - Bulls Put Three Past Telford

It's just over nine years since Hereford United last played a Conference fixture at the New Bucks Head. Here's a look back:

Tuesday March 2nd 2004

A 3-0 win over local rivals Telford United saw Hereford remain in contention at the top of the Nationwide Conference.

The Bulls have now netted twelve goals in their last two games, and have a double strike from David Brown to thank for making this game safe.

Without Danny Williams but including Simon Travis, Hereford, buoyed on by a huge travelling support, failed to exert their authority on the opening period of play as the home side had the best of proceedings. Matt Baker was forced to save from Tony Naylor and Richard Lavery in the opening period, and Robin Hulbert headed inches over in the last minute of the half with the game still deadlocked.

While Telford dominated, Hereford had their chances too, as ex-Bull Chris MacKenzie in the home side's goal was forced to save early on from David Brown, while Brown again fired into the side netting when connecting onto a Simon Travis cross. Skipper Tony James also shot wide from a long way out, but it was his central defensive partner Andy Tretton who opened the scoring in added time at the end of the first half.

A Michael Rose corner was headed on by Tretton, who missed five months of the season with injury, and the ball found its way over the line. Brown and Tamika Mkandawire may have helped it on its way, but the goal was credited to the former Shrewsbury Town captain.

With United ahead at the break, Telford aimed to battle back in the second half. Tony Naylor almost nipped in when Tretton's backpass to Baker fell short, while John Grant fired just wide from 25 yards. However, Hereford fought on, with Michael Rose's curling corner bouncing off the far post and MacKenzie forced into an excellent agile stop from David Brown.

Nevertheless, Hereford still held the slender advantage, and looked to make the game safe with ten minutes left. A long throw from Rose found Steve Guinan, and his flick on was controlled by Brown. Against his old club, Brown, with his back to goal, then launched the ball over his shoulder which rocketed into the roof of the net.

Scott Willis went narrowly wide with four minutes left, and at the other end, John Grant forced an awesome diving stop out of Matt Baker as Telford looked to get back into the match.

It wasn't to be, though, as Brown broke into the Telford area in the last minute, lifting the ball over MacKenzie and netting Hereford's third.