Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Banbury Away On Friday March 29th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Saturday, December 31, 2011

So little time, So many changes

Exiled Bull’s first game for six weeks leaves him scratching his head.

Horribly aware that the Bulls can only win matches this season when I’m present, guilt has steadily mounted that the Premier League has had my attention in recent weeks. Accrington was my opportunity. As I left my Birmingham city centre office into the cold and teeming rain, I was thinking do I really need this? This concern was reinforced by fog patches and road works on the motorway. I pressed on, mindful that the alternative would have been an evening with the in-laws discussing the price of the bread and the travails of the 405 bus route.

The first new feature of course was the re-opening of the Starlite function suite. Excellent facilities all round and a great tribute to David Keyte. I did note with some astonishment that both the Starlite and Radfords was packed. I’m not sure whether that says Herefordians in general have a drinking problem or that watching the Bulls sober isn’t a terribly good idea.

Another surprise was the astonishing amount of facial hair sported by 50/50 ace seller and all round good egg Nick Brade. It’s hard to do justice in print to these spectacular sideburns . They’d certainly drawn comments all around the ground, the most flattering of which was a single descriptor - “Wolverine.” My theory was that Nick was trying to back the campaign that “Hound of the Baskervilles” was set in Hergest Rocks, near Kington.

But the biggest shock of all was the managerial decision to become the Stoke City of the Fourth Division, launching constant long balls to bypass the midfield. Heavens, are we really that desperate? If we had huge players right across the front line, skilled at winning aerial balls or holding possession, then I’d reluctantly accept it. For me, Arquin, Colbeck and young Tommy are far more comfortable on the grass. Playing Pulis-ball isn’t their game.

I can (and frequently do) applaud workrate and determination. There was much of both during the Accy fixture but entertainment - where’s that gone? The Accrington game was grim. Just one game of course but if this is to be regularly repeated, next time I have a dilemma about whether to travel to the game or not .. the outcome might be different.