Monday, April 05, 2010

From the Archives - Turner looking for Work

As Hereford United chairman Graham Turner considers appointing a new manager at Edgar Street, BN looks back to comments he gave to the Independent about being an out of work manager after leaving Wolves in 1994.

Turner was confident he would soon find a club and rejected offers from Greece and Cyprus. For three months it was "very pleasant" to spend more time with his family and to wake up on Saturdays "without the twinges in the pit of your stomach". Then the withdrawal symptoms started.

"I desperately wanted to get back in. I haven't known anything else in life, so I missed the adrenalin flowing on match days and working with players in training. I had a near miss with the Ipswich job, and with Notts County, but I began to think about Chris Nicholl, who did well at Southampton but was out of work three years before going to Walsall.

"You just have to wait for someone to suffer the same misfortune as you. It's a unique situation in that you can actually study the vacancies on Teletext as they happen. But there's nothing worse when a manager is under pressure than to see out-of-work managers sat in the stand and talking to a director.

"It's a horrible profession when it's like that, though there's not many about who are that predatory. When I was scouting for Derby I'd turn down certain matches because I knew the manager was under fire."

Eventually, Hereford offered Turner the chance to join Kenny Dalglish and Steve Coppell in the elite band who operate under the title of Director of Football.