Friday, August 07, 2009

McIlroy Wants More Signings

Speaking ahead of tomorrow's match with the Bulls, Morecambe boss Sammy McIlroy wants to bolster his squad further.

After agreeing a deal for former Oldham defender Will Haining late last night McIlroy wants more new faces at Christie Park, telling the Lancashire Evening Post: "It depends on a few things, but I'd still like to bring a couple of players in.

"I know who I want to sign, I've identified the targets. If I can do it I will because we haven't got the biggest squad. I'd like to think we could challenge for the play-offs but the division will be a lot harder this time. We've seen what Notts County have done with the appointment of Sven-Goran Eriksson and I expect them to spend big, while other clubs who have a far bigger budget than we have will be able to attract more players.

"But Morecambe can still be a force in this division, as we showed last season. We had a fantastic run in the last three months, losing just three times in 20 starts and that is very encouraging. We have to build on that and I think we can."