Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Boston At Edgar Street On Saturday April 20th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Friday, May 25, 2007

MacKenzie Relishes Opportunity

Former Bulls keeper Chris MacKenzie is relishing the opportunity to step out at the new Wembley tomorrow.

Speaking to the Shrewsbury Chronicle MacKenzie, now 37 and also acting as the Shrews' goalkeeping coach, will deputise for Scott Shearer after Bristol Rovers refused permission for him to play:

"I had a quick chat with Scott on Monday and I do have some sympathy for him in all sincerity – I'm gutted for him. On the other side of it, I've played my part this season and it's an opportunity for me. I hope Scott is okay about it but I think he will be gutted on the day, as I was many years ago when it happened to me. But he's a good lad, a good character. He'll be among the players and he'll be very supportive.

"It's not ideal at all really but I can't sit at home and worry about that. It's been about seven weeks since I've played so it's not ideal preparation, but that's just the way things have worked out. I've just got to draw on all my experience and hopefully get through the day and do everybody proud.

"I am getting excited but I'm trying not to. I want to go there and win the football match. It will be a great day for supporters, family and friends, but really if we lose it will be the worst day in the world ever."