Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Away At Bishop Stortford In The FA Cup On Saturday 28 September at 3.00pm

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Where's Ben Smith going to?

The future of former Hereford United player Ben Smith is uncertain but already Kevin Bond manager of Bournemouth has said he could be interested in signing the mid-fielder.

Smith's current club Weymouth is in turmoil after it was announced by the chairman that surgery was needed. A press conference at the ground is due later this morning.

"I would certainly be very interested in taking Ben Smith from Weymouth. He's a good player," Bond told the Dorest press.

"I know he's somebody that Garry Hill thinks an awful lot of because he's just signed a new contract (until June 2009).

"Garry would not have wanted to lose him under any circumstances, but he's no longer there and the club appears to be going in a new direction.

"He scores goals from midfield, he's got bags of energy and is somebody I would like to bring to Bournemouth."

More has been released about Smith's reaction to the grim news at Weymouth by the Dorest press.

"I can honestly say I didn't see this coming at all," Smith said.

"I signed a new contract three weeks ago and the club is enjoying one of its best seasons ever.

"Nobody said very much. I don't know when the manager met the chairman or the reasons he gave him for the decision - we are all in the dark.

"I've spoken to a few players on the phone and they are all completely shocked."