Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Away At Bishop Stortford In The FA Cup On Saturday 28 September at 3.00pm

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Several clubs enquire about Smith

It appears that Bournemouth are not the only club to have enquired about former Hereford United player Ben Smith now without a future at Weymouth.

Smith has spoken to the local press in detail about his position.

"As for me, if they (Weymouth) do not let me go then they will have to pay me a decent amount of money to get me off the wage bill because I am obviously contracted now until 2009. They should not have given me that contract.

"It would be nice if the decent thing was done and this was all explained to us by the chairman. We can speak to Gary Calder (now in charge) but he is just relaying a message at the end of the day.

"No disrespect but if they do get in local lads who have not played at Conference level before they are going to get spanked every game. That is why there seems more to all this than meets the eye. I mean, why did they not wait and see out the season? We were doing well and in with a chance of promotion, and there is a lot more funding and sponsorship in League Two."

The Dorest Echo reports that, as well as Bournemouth, 'Macclesfield Town, Burton Albion, Exeter City and Gravesend & Northfleet are also amongst the clubs interested in Smith. A return to Yeovil Town could also be a possibility.'

Smith continued: "I know Bournemouth are interested but nothing has been sorted. I have had loads of phone calls from other clubs as well and I have not had time to speak to them all because I am still trying to just get my head around everything.

"Once things are clear I will sit down and make a decision. I am 28 now so I will want a good financial package and I will also want to be playing regularly. The other thing that is certain is that I cannot afford to rush my decision either, there is a lot to take into consideration."