Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Friday, December 01, 2006

Former players in the news

Two former Hereford United players are in the news this morning. Michael McIndoe and Craig Stanley have hit the headlines but for different reasons.

In fact as regards McIndoe there is a further Hereford United connection through Steve Bull.

Bull came to Edgar Street as a player/coach for a short spell several seasons ago whilst McIndoe was there. However it was Graham Turner who should take the credit for re-launching McIndoe's career - afterall it was Turner who signed him.

This from GiveMeFootball.com:

Wolves legend Steve Bull reckons new signing Michael McIndoe will become a big hit at Molineux following the winger's switch from Barnsley. His initial loan move is expected to be made permanent in January, and Bull believes it will prove to be good business.

The 26-year-old, who made his Wolves debut on Tuesday, was coached at Hereford by Bull, who said: "I saw him at Molineux the other day and he was delighted to have signed for Wolves. He reminds me a bit of Cristiano Ronaldo in the way he moves. If he can get anywhere close to that standard, Wolves will have a very good player."

McIndoe himself said of his move: "I'd be a fool to turn the offer down. They are a bigger club, I'll have a better chance of getting into the Scotland squad." Manager Mick McCartrhy added: "I have known about him for some time. I watched him when I was at Sunderland and you have only got to look at his record. He's been getting better and better."


As for Stanley, he was captain of the Non-League English team that defeated Holland 4-1 earlier this week.

"It's probably the greatest honour of my career so far, it felt really good," Stanley told TheFA.com. "I've been playing in the conference now for the last three and a half years and I last played for England 18 months ago.

"I was disappointed not to be involved earlier this year because I thought I deserved to get a chance, but it wasn't meant to be," he said. "I worked hard at Hereford, but things didn't work out there so I moved to Morecambe and I'm really enjoying my football.

"I think my performances with them have helped me get a place in the England team. But I was quite shocked when Paul asked me (to be captain) - it's a great honour for me."