Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Banbury Away On Friday March 29th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

I could have been at Old Trafford yesterday

Simon Wright choose to watch Hereford United yesterday and appears to have enjoyed his trip to the Lawn.

I could have been at Old Trafford instead of here... but I'm glad I wasn't...

Quite true. I was standing next to 'Er Indoors at the Hawthorns ticket office as she bought herself a ticket for Old Trafford. I had everything necessary to purchase a £32 ticket too but I'd long discarded that idea. Forest Green for me please.

And it was a good call. OK, I like Forest Green. It's a unique club in a unique area. So much so I can laugh in the face of a 30 minute queue to buy an outrageously expensive coffee and I can still maintain my good humour when agonising over which of the two urinals to use. Every year at the Lawn, the goals flow. Generally in Rovers net but they flow alright. And I know I'm in a minority when I want to shout how much I enjoyed the Boxing Day game.

As Bulls News wisely warned us, FGR have improved. They've begged, stolen or borrowed better players and this year, they were not giving way to a Hereford onslaught. I had to admire their steely determination and that all their forwards contributed. And talking of contribution, each time the Bulls were in possession, they had four forwards in a line to aim at. Wow! Which other professional club would dare to do that - at home, never mind away. The first half was generally frustrating but the second half... with wave after wave after Hereford attacks and those oh so sweet passing moves that management had been demanding throughout the game... oh it was excellent stuff to watch for a bargain £9. Sky would love it. Had Jeannin's effort formed part of a Premier League match, you'd be seeing the goal again and again for weeks on end. It was curious though that with all the attacking players on the pitch, the visitors' goals should come from two of the back four.

So please... not too gloomy guys. Nothing is settled by a single away game in December. There were lots of positives. Celebrate each moment. There will be lots of downers to come. Just having the chance to follow such a comparatively smooth-passing attacking likeable team is a pretty important factor - football as it ought to be - perhaps the biggest one of the lot. It could have been much worse... you might have been at Old Trafford, for instance. Yawn.