Sunday, November 13, 2005

Men against Boys says Cockerill

Glenn Cockerill, the Woking manager, spoke to his Official Website after yesterday's game. Here are some of his comments.

"It was men against boys. We had only two performers - Stuart Nethercott and Neil Smith.

"I'm a manager of a fifth division club and I know that I can't always expect great performances but what I do expect is hard work and commitment. I can handle getting beaten by a better side but what I won't put up with is lack of effort."

Cockerill felt sorry for the Woking fans who had travelled down to Edgar Street.

"It was back to the Woking of three years ago. We had good support today and the least the fans can expect is to see their team working hard and showing passion."

The manager was critical of Luke Oliver's part in Hereford's first goal.

"We were doing quite well up to that point in blunting their attacks but Luke had one of those 'casual' moments. You can't always play yourself out of a position like that. You look at John Terry: he's not afraid to put the ball out when that's the safest option - and when things go wrong he chases back as fast as he can."

Cockerill thought that his side suffered too from coming up against an older, more experienced side:

"We got bossed around today. Simon Jackson, for example, was too easily knocked off the ball.

"I think today's defeat will do us good. We'll be better for it. We've lost that unbeaten record and it's now up to us to bounce back. My teams have got a good record in bouncing back from defeats and that's what I'm expecting us to do on Tuesday evening." (Woking play Southport in a FA Cup replay.)