Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Banbury Away On Friday March 29th Kick-Off 3.00pm

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Coldicott talks about a move

Stacy Coldicott has been talking to the Grimsby Telegraph about a move away from Blundell Park.

The following is an edited version of the article by David Pye.

Grimsby Town midfielder Stacy Coldicott has confirmed he is moving on from Blundell Park this summer.

The 31-year-old Town man is out-of-contract with the Mariners and says he feels the time is right to leave. But while the Redditch-born battler has decided to move on, he adds that his future isn't decided despite rumours linking him with Conference side Hereford.

Coldicott told the Telegraph: "Nothing has been sorted out yet and I've not signed anything.

"I am just trying to keep fit at the moment.

"It can be frustrating at this time when you haven't sorted a contract out but you just have to sit tight and see what happens.

"I have spoken to Hereford and the talks were positive but nothing has happened yet.

"It's a case of wait and see with them, but I'm not panicking."

Coldicott has been training with his Grimsby team-mates this week.

"To be fair to the gaffer (Russell Slade) and Grez (Graham Rodger), they were willing to let me go in and train with the lads to keep my fitness up and that's been great.

"It suits both parties really because I can help with a bit of experience with the new lads and it also helps me stay fit.

Coldicott's inevitable departure from Grimsby ends a seven-year association at Blundell Park after his £125,000 capture from West Brom in July 1998. In that time he played more than 240 games for the Mariners in three divisions.

It would have been more games had Coldicott not broken his leg two years ago which kept him out for nine months.

Grimsby have been relegated twice in successive seasons when manager Russell Slade arrived from Scarborough and Coldicott had to fight hard to get back in the team.

However he ended last season as a first choice midfielder and even scored a goal, his first for four years. However he wants a new challenge this coming season.

"It was a disappointing year for everyone last season. After relegation it was crucial we consolidated but despite playing well at times, it never quite happened for us.

"Personally, I thought I had a better second half of the season last year but I did start to think about the future and to be honest have probably been doing for some time.

"After seven years here, I felt at the end of the season that it was probably time for a change.

"Sometimes you can get stale after so long at a club and need a new challenge. That's why I decided it was time to part ways this summer but it was all amicable.

"I don't owe the club anything and they don't owe me anything so we have parted on good terms.

"I played for seven years and always gave my all.

"Now I'm getting ready to move on, wherever it may be, I am just happy to play football regularly.

"But after being here for so long, of course I wish Grimsby all the best and I hope they can get it right next year."