Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Away At Bishop Stortford In The FA Cup On Saturday 28 September at 3.00pm

Saturday, September 21, 2024

Dudley Tyler At Edgar Street This Afternoon


One of the giant-killers was at a guest of honour at Edgar Street this afternoon.

Dudley Tyler spoke in the Hospitality Suite before the game and went onto the pitch at half-time.

Tyler played for Hereford, went to West Ham, and later returned to Hereford.

After the game he spoke to BBC H&W's Terry Goodwin who started by wishing Tyler a happy birthday.

"Thank you very much," said Tyler.

"I've had a really good day, they looked after us very well up in the hospitality suite, nice crowd up there and it was nice going out on the pitch again at half time. So thank you to everybody at the club.

"Shirt looks good, I might wear it in the gym sometime."

It was suggested that Tyler might have brought his boots given manager Paul Caddis is short of players.

"I find that quite odd at this stage of the season, I know you've got lots of injuries but I see lots of the premier league clubs are having problems with injuries this early in the season as well."

What did Tyler make of the game?

"I thought Hereford looked the stronger but I don't think they ever really put Kings Lynn under enough pressure to really force a goal. There were a couple of good chances towards the end, the slope on the pitch perhaps helped a bit.

"First half was a little bit stop start but generally I think the fans will go away thinking the players have given it a good go and could have nicked it at the end."

The Blackfriars End was mentioned.

"When I first came here there was a stand there which I think the away supporters used to fill and from my memories there used to be more in that bit than there used to be across there in the Westons Cider tier.

"Away supporters I suppose with the travelling and costs it's very difficult for a lot of them. I was looking at stuff from the olden days when I was playing looking at suoporters travelling from Hereford to away games and they were paying 50p for the coach travel."

Onto the scrapping of FA Cup replays.

"I was talking with Martin Brain earlier up in hospitality, that cup run I don't think we won a game outright. All of the rounds we played involved a replay, Northampton Town two replays. That brought a lot of good funding into the club and changing the way they done it, they've denied particularily clubs in the lower leagues like us from making the money they used to be able to if they managed to get on a cup run."

Finally how does Tyler think Hereford will do this season?

"They are in a good position at the moment, early days of the season I appreciate, but they are getting results week in, week out. They seem to be able to get their results away from home a little bit better but that may be because it suits the style of play, counter-attacking perhaps.

"They just need to start putting some goals in at Edgar Street."