Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Tuesday, May 03, 2022

It's Nice To Have A Say In The League Said McLean


Man of the match, Ryan McLean, spoke to the locasl media after yesterday's 2-2 draw with Brackley.

The Hereford winger admitted it was nice to get a point out of the game and stop Brackley from having any chance of winning the league.

"It's nice to have a say in the league," said McLean.

"I don't think we wanted them to win it so it was nice to get something against them.

"The first half wasn't great. We knew we had nothing to lose.

"I think we were the better side, deserved to win really."

McLean had a chance to put Hereford ahead in the first half.

"I just couldn't get it out of my feet, I was trying to turn and get a shot off at the same time but the keeper came out quite quick to be fair."


After Brackley it's league leaders Gateshead on Saturday.

"It's nice to have a say in the league, I'm sure they won't thank us for it but that's not our problem.

"We've just got to beat who is in front of us and Gateshead and Brackley are the last two teams.

"Everyone struggled against Gateshead last time, they are a good side. So we've got to go and see what we can do. Hopefully do the same as today, play with no pressure and see what happens.

"The morale is still high, we just want to a good end to the season to go into next season and, hopefully, start a lot better.

"Because if we had had a decent start we would be in the play-offs comfortably.

"I didn't start the season great but from Christmas on I've score more goals and hopefully I can continue that next season.

"I've played every game other than last week when I was suspended.

"I assume some players will leave and some players will come in but I've just got to do what I can to stay in the team.

"Sometimes we're good, sometimes we're not but I think today we showed what we can do."

How has McLean found his first season in National North?

"It's been a challenge. I took a few months to get into the swing of it. I didn't score a goal until November. But it's nice to score more goals and get more assists and show I can do it at this level."

Both McLean and Harry Pinchard are on two year deals.

"It always help having the security like that and obviously the gaffer trusts me and the same with H. We're both young and hadn't played at this level so it's nice to be able to ease into it.

"Hopefully I'll be one of the first names on the team sheet next season every week. It will be a lot more comfortable than everything being new. I'll be used to the level.

"You have to play what's in front of you and where you are, you haven't got much choice about that.

"In this league players are quick and strong and can play. I think I've adapted to it now.

"If you don't think you are going to get the ball try and get a foul."