Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Kings Lynn At Edgar Street On Saturday 21 September at 3.00pm

Saturday, February 05, 2022

John Motson Speaks About Last Night's Event At Leominster

John Motson And Ronnie Radford - Picture From Andy Compton

Last night John Motson, Colin Addison and several players were on top table at an event in Leominster which was organised to celebrate the Giantkilling of Newcastle United 50 years ago

This morning Motson spoke to BBC Hereford and Worcester.

"It was a question and answer session," said Motson.

"Colin Addison, the manager during that famous Cup campaign, Dudley Tyler and Ricky George, who scored the winning goal, were there.

"The audience were terrific, we had some great questions.

"I was amazed how many people turn up, 300 altogether. Lots of them had been at the game and at the other matches in that Cup run.

"So it was a very warm atmosphere and a good occasion.

"I can still remember commentating on the Ronnie Radford shot because just before it actually hit the net I was about to say what a goal but I just paused momentarily in case it came back off the crossbar which it didn't of course.

"The pitch invasion was the last one I remember where the fans were just euphoric. There was nothing about them the way they ran on the pitch that was in any way threatening.

"It was just a marvellous occasion all the way round.

"I travelled down to the game with Ricky George and the late Billy Meadows in the car because they both lived up near me and when we went back it was just a complete celebration really. 

"I remember going back to Billy's house. Somebody said to us at one of the petrol stations you are all going to be on the front page in the morning and they were.

"It was the first year I was on Match of the Day and I was on trial really from BBC Radio. I had to go through a one year approbation and that game came along at just the right time for me because when they gave me the commentary they were expecting, well if McDonald's header had counted and there hadn't been any response from Hereford, Newcastle would have won 1-0 and I'd would have had about two minutes at the end of the programme.

"Instead the match was propelled to the top of the show and it put me on the map as a commentator."