Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Saturday, August 28, 2021

My First Ninety In Ages Said Smith


Hereford's new striker Dan Smith was interviewed after this afternoon's defeat.

"It was my first ninety in ages," said Smith.

"I felt really good first half but  second half I probably blew up a little bit. Hopefully get a few more games under my belt and feel a lot better going forward.

"But it's disappointing, sloppy goals and that.

"I thought we played really well at points and we looked well going forward especially first half but the early goal killed us a little bit second half. It's one of them.

"I'll back myself to win a lot of headers but I would rather work the line stuff a bit more coming into the next games.

"It was one of those where I think it ended up being that we had to go long a few times to beat the press and go from there which I don't mind doing for the team.

"We were a little bit sloppy all over the pitch, not just looking at the defence or the goals, it's everywhere.

"I had a bit of a bad one which led to a chance - like losing the ball.

"It's just those fine little margins which we can try and sort out going forward.

"I thought we did really well in points especially in the first half, played some really nice stuff. Ryan hit the crossbar, few nice little chances, but it's not a great one but hopefully we look forward to Monday.

"McLean looked really good. It's nice to have lads who aren't afraid to get at people. It's good to see.

"Hopefully we'll start to get a few more goals as a team going forward.

"There were a couple, probably more second half, that wizzed across the face of goal, I don't know if I could have got there or wasn't quite on it but hopefully that will come with game time and being there and getting a goal."

It's Telford, who lost at Blyth Spartans today, on Monday.

"I'm really looking forward to that one, recover tomorrow and look forward to Monday. Hopefully we'll get a win, we need it."

How did Smith arrive at Edgar Street?

"I wanted game time, spoke to the gaffer, spoke to a couple of different managers around this level and what (Josh) he was saying really appealed in terms of how he wants a striker to play, how we wants his team to play.

"A couple of the players at Eastleigh know him, told me about him, really good things and I saw a few clips of the team, looked like they wanted to play football. That's the main reason.

"Obviously it's a massive club with a lot of fans, a lot of people to play in front of and impress, hopefully.

"I trained with them on Thursday, that was my first session. I think the loan was still being sorted out. I met all the lads."

How do you think this level is compared with the National League?

"I think they are both very good levels. National League is a good standard but this is a good standard as well."