Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Sunday, May 16, 2021

Gowling Talks About His New Contract

 

Hereford manager Josh Gowling and assistant Steve Burr recently signed new two year contracts at the club.

Last week Gowling spoke to BBC Hereford and Worcester about his contract and his thoughts for the future at Edgar Street.

"I've got to prove myself, I've still got to prove myself more," said Gowling.

"This football club is building itself back to where it needs to be.

"Speaking to the Chairman and the board, they agree with me with that.

"So I'm committed to the project and this gives us time to build it back to where it should be.

"You've got to have the same vision (as the board) and I think it helps when you win games of football.

"Sitting down speaking to everyone at the club we've made mistakes this season and in the past.

"One thing we've got to do now is stop making decisions based on fear, and understand that, the past is the past. Things have happened. Money has been wasted. The club folded.

"Now those things have happened and we can make better decisions because we've been through that.

"From my point of view we need to start building, we need to start getting the community back involved with the football club especially now the Covid lockdown is stopping.

"We need to get the youth team back at the football club and engage with the community as a whole.

"I think the last couple of years the football club at this level has not been respected, obviously there have been a few relegation battles. We need to put that right for a start.

"When we reformed, we were a massive football club, when we reformed three or four leagues below where we were you had the biggest budget in every league you were in and obviously the old manager (Peter Beadle) did really well with back to back promotions.

"Then you get to this point and you've got York, you've got Chester and Boston. You've got big clubs at this level who have got money, probably bigger budgets that what you have and then you have to consolidate, rebuild.

"I think sometimes that when you've gone through a period of success you probably don't build the infrastructure because it's just working. And then you get to a point when you take stock and think we need to start building a better infrastructure to go to the next level. I think we are at that period now.

"There have been a lot of changes at the club this year and I'm sure there will be more to come. But I would like to think we are on a good period and we've got to keep pushing forward."