Monday, March 15, 2021

I Thought National League Two Was A Great Idea Said AFC Fylde Owner

AFC Fylde Chairman David Haythornthwaite thought that playing on this season in a competition he called National League Two was a great idea. However last Friday the FA Alliance Committee rejected the plan which had been hatched by a number of National North and South clubs.

Fylde were relegated last season and had high hopes of promotion.

"This season we have been denied the opportunity to win our place back in the National League because a lot of clubs are, in my opinion, unprofessional and decided not to play on," said Haythornthwaite as reported by the Lytham St Annes Express.

He admitted he wasn't surprised the FA turned down the plan to play on.

"I always remain optimistic but I felt it was 50-50 at best and the decision wasn’t something that surprised me.

"The FA is a very structured and institutionalised organisation and thinking outside the box is not something they are not particularly great at. I hadn’t build my hopes up and so I wasn’t particularly disappointed.

"But I thought a National League Two was a great idea. The proposal was well thought out and workable.

"There was enough time to play all the games and I always feel that if there’s a will there’s a way. The FA have told us that they will let us know their reasons, so we’ll look forward to hearing them."