Tuesday, March 09, 2021

How I Left Hereford - Bobby Gould

Bobby Gould has been looking back at his time in football, and explained how he came to leave Hereford United after a spell as player-coach under Mike Bailey. 

 

The former Coventry City and Wales boss joined Hereford in September 1978, and has told BBC CWR’s Sky Blues Fancast that he’d worked hard as a player to ready himself for a management role. 

 

“I took my examinations with the Football Association, and I went to as many meetings as I could.  

 

“I went on a course at Bisham Abbey with a fella called Geoff Hurst.  We’d been there a fortnight, and as we were leaving, he came up to me and said ‘Gouldy, if I ever get a job, you’ll be my number two’. 

 

“Then I was at Hereford, coming towards the latter stages of my career, with Mick Bailey.  I’d scored a few goals, and then Geoff Hurst got the Chelsea job.  He phoned me up and said ‘do you want the job?’, I said ‘yes please’.  Me and my family, we moved and I started my management career.” 

 

Gould also talks about his friendship with Mike Bailey, who now has dementia. 

 

You can hear the Bobby Gould story on the Sky Blues Fancast on BBC Sounds: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08v1vzt