Friday, March 05, 2021

Bevan Wants To Promote Home-Grown Talent At Worcester

Andy Bevan, who has added being assistant manager at Worcester to his job with Cheltenham FC, is hopeful that he can give young players opportunities as he has in the past.

"I have also coached a lot of younger lads who have gone on and made it at the highest level," said Bevan as reported by the Worcester News.

"I have overseen the development of the likes of Jack Butland (Crystal Palace), Jarrod Bowen (West Ham), Luke Thomas (Ipswich Town), George Lloyd (Cheltenham Town) and Owen Evans (Wigan Athletic), so there is proof that it can be done.

"At Hereford last season as the academy manager I was pushing to get guys through to the senior team because I know how much that means to fans.

"To see homegrown talent come through, it just gives everyone such a boost to players, the club and mostly the supporters.

"It’s the future and I know the harsh reality is that you will probably lose that player but there is a sell on for whatever you do.

"You have to accept it but you have to try and bring those players through and that's what I try and do, I have a real passion for coaching."