Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Saturday, December 12, 2020

First Home Win For Gowling

Hereford deservedly defeated Afc Fylde this afternoon at Edgar Street and afterwards manager Josh Gowling spoke to BBC H&W's Keith Hall.

"I think it's my first home win since I've been a manager," said Gowling.

"The lads were excellent, I'm really proud of the lads, the workrate they put in.

"You look at Finn and Owen-Evans, we have running stats, anything between 12K and 14K a game, so they are really putting shifts in.

"I think they went a bit more direct towards the end which when you are chasing the game you do that but we showed what we are about.

"We worked on not giving them pockets of space and I think we did that well.

"I think we sat off a little bit towards the end of the game but I thought we were excellent.

"With everything that has gone on at the club financially and the restrictions that we've had to compete with a side like that and come out victorious is really pleasing for me."

Lenell-Lewis scored both of Hereford's goals, the first from such a narrow angle it didn't look like going in.

"We believe in what we are doing, the patterns we create and the overloads, goals are always going to come. It just takes time.

"There's still a lot of work to do, I don't think we should have lost yet but we have so it is what it is.

"But the character of the boys, especially to conceed five and then come here go a goal down against the top of the league and then go again and score again. I'm just proud of my squad."

Brandon Hall was in goal replacing Paul White.

"He's been out for a while. For him to come in for a big game like that and perform the way he did.

"We had words on Thursday and I had a conversation with Paul White as well. We brought him in and backed him and he's had the game he's had (at Chester).

"Where we are in the League we needed to make a change and that change has worked today. White is a great character but Brandon has been excellent today.

"He came for things, parts of his game I haven't been happy with was his crosses and he did that work in abundance today. His distribution speaks for itself anyway."

How much difference did the crowd make?

"For me that was the difference today, the crowd just getting behind us, pushing us forward, giving us that focus, cheering.

"When things were going against us they were getting us going and pushing us on. They really made a difference to us today and that result was because of them."

One disappointment from this afternoon was to see an injury to defender Kennedy Digie late in the game.

"Kennedy has gone down, what we do about that I don't know.

"We've got a couple of players in the squad that don't get paid so that's the situation we've got at the football club at the moment but we'll keep pushing. The lads want to be at the club, they are building for us, they are building for the club, they are building for me. They want to kick on and really do something this season

"We've got to stay in it together so if it means we've got drop Yan (Klukowkski) in there or Toby who has been itching to play then we've got to drop Toby in there."