Text at top (next game etc)

Next Game: Pre-Season

Saturday, November 16, 2019

Not Good Enough Said Slade

 

Russell Slade spoke to a couple of Hereford's directors before speaking to the press after the 5-1 defeat at Altrincham this afternoon. Whether he was asking for a bigger budget or permission to cull part of the squad, may be both, isn't known.

But in his interview he gave the impression that something has to give.

"Certainly not good enough," said the Hereford manager.

"So disappointing because I thought we started the game so well. First 15/20 minutes could have gone one in front.

"But is not a strong enough mentality because the moment they get a goal it seemed to knock the stuffing out of us, the energy out of us.

"We needed half-time at 2-0 to try and regroup, which we did.

"Second half I thought we started okay but we could not keep it going.

"We managed to get a goal but that was when we were 3-0 down.

"In both boxes simply not good enough today.

"I've asked the players two questions because at the end of the day they are a reflection on me and what I'm trying to do for the football club.

"I want this football club to do well, it deserves to do well and at the minute we are letting the football club down, we are letting the fans down.

"I asked them whether they can give what is required week in and week out, no just for twenty minutes or fourty five minutes or for one game but for fourty odd games - are you good enough, are you going to give us what we require, ask yourselves and be honest and the same for me.

"And the second one is - if that answer is yes, yes, I can do it gaffa, I'm definitely the man for the job then what are we going to change because we can't keep doing this away from home when we go a goal down or two goals down and can't recover.

"We've conceeded far too many goals on the road and that needs to stop, we are not giving ourselves a chance to stay in the game.

"It's disappointing because at times we have got quality but we need to be ruthless with it."

Thompson in the Alti goal had little to do all afternoon apart from Vincenti's goal.

"Having said that I don't think he would have got near Tommy O'Sullivan's, he just watched that, that was a little bit unlucky and then Pope followed up and had a great chance as well.

"I still think we had a couple of chances, there was Josh's header that might have gone in the back of the net.

"We are creating, we need to create more and we need to be finishing them, we need to be ruthless.

"But whilst that process is going on we need to defend and make it very, very difficult not to conceed.

"It was a worry wasn't it every time a ball went forward or down the side or into the box it was a worry.

"It's not easy because we are a few players missing. Pope is a bit of a utility, he slotted in a right back for us today. Jack's probably best position is centre-half but he's doing a job for the team as well. We've got Greenslade on the bench (think he meant still out-ed), we've got Hodgkiss struggling as well.
 
"We have got players to come back but it's still an opportunity for whoever is putting that shirt on to go and show I want to play next week,

"There wasn't too many there telling me listen mister manager I want to be in your plans next week, week after because I want to move forward with this club."

It's the FA Trophy at league leaders Kings Lynn next Saturday.

"It's probably the sort of fixture we need right now because there is no hiding place. I watched them on the way against Altrincham, they looked a very decent side. They will be a real test."

Slade was without strikers Rowan Liburd and Reece Styche this afternoon.

"They will be back later this week. I don't think Rowan will be back until Thursday but I think Reece will be back on Tuesday so he will train Thursday but I'm not sure about Rowan."

Keiran Thomas was also missing today.

"He's got a hamstring which he picked up the game on Tuesday night so he wasn't worth risking and Jared with that ankle not worth risking.

"Normally with a grade one hamstring they say about ten days so he will have a chance for Saturday but we'll have to see.

"We've missed a few players who will feel they could have done better and may be helped the team.

"You can't make excuses and I can't dodge it as well.

"Okay I've inherited some of those players but it's my team and I feel totally responsible and I'm not dodging that.

"But when they cross that white line they've got to want to do it, they've got to have a strong mentality to see it through right from the first minute to the last minute."

Finally it was suggested to Slade that some players need to go and some need to be recruited. Was that possible with the budget?

"I think that has to be a conversation going forward.

"You can't keep giving people opportunities to deliver.

"We'll have to look at it.Yes, that's all I'll say, yes."